Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

How to get a title...

Puck90a
honda305.com Member

How to get a title...

Post by Puck90a » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:25 pm

I know a common response to many inquiries is "use the search feature". I have, and I have read some posts, but everyone's situation is different and I'm not sure what I should do. I have looked on Louisiana's DMV site etc and haven't found many answers. Haven't called and talked to anyone yet.

So here's the situation:

-Back in the late 80s or early 90s my dad purchased a 1969 Dream that is titled in a man and woman's name. The title state is Oklahoma.
-My dad never had the title transferred to himself and he never registered it.
-The woman's signature is on the back of the title next to "signature of seller". It is not notarized.
-In the early 90s, we moved to Louisiana, and we have lived here ever since.
-A month ago my dad gave me the Dream and the Oklahoma title.

What now?

I googled the names that are on the title. I found an obituary for the man's name, and it is in the small obscure town in Oklahoma where the motorcycle was titled. So I'm pretty sure that's him - and it said he was survived by his wife with such and such name, which matches what's on the title. So that's him. I searched for the wife on one of those classmate finder websites that makes you pay for full info, and there appears to be a woman living in that obscure town with a husband of the matching name. I haven't paid the $7 to see if I can get her phone number or address.

Is it worth tracking that woman down?

Is the title I have really any good to me at this point? There is no bill of sale. Would I be better off just saying the bike doesn't have a title, and try to go the route of getting a new title for it?

peter4821
honda305.com Member

Post by peter4821 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:38 am

Your insurance agent may be able to help you. Each state is different but at the end of the all they care about is the bike has no record of being stolen.. Take clear pics of the VIN . The other thing they care about is the TAX. Pay the back tax and u on your way. There may be a way to have the local PD verify the vin and u good to go. There are also services out there that will get u a title but some charge a lot so do the homework. Good luck.

Puck90a
honda305.com Member

Post by Puck90a » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:09 am

How much do you think the back tax would be?

Would I just need to pay the tax for the sale price of the motorcycle, or would I need to pay 20 years worth of yearly registration fees? I can have a title and NOT register it yet, right?

ahenthus
honda305.com Member

Post by ahenthus » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:28 am

I think most states have provisions for non running registration. That way you beat the taxes until you register it for plates. I also don't think notarization is a big issue. I have a few old basket cases I've had around for years and never registered. As long as you can attest that you've had the bike for years and finally decided to register it, I think you'll be okay. Call someone in your DVM and see what they say. I got a lot of conflicting info about my CL77 registration but after talking with a local DMV person it turned out to be a painless operation and I titled it without plates so I don't have the tax or insurance burden during the restoration period. They looked at the signed back of the seller's title (w/o notary) and processed it. I'll register it for plates when it becomes rideable.

peter4821
honda305.com Member

Post by peter4821 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:44 am

What state are you in?

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:47 am

DMVs/BMVs vary from state to state, but all I would have to do here is get a copy of the man's death certificate (if can confirm with the widow that's the right guy),fill out the rest of the title, get a police signed VIN inspection for out of state vehicle and then transfer the title at the BMV.

Good Luck- HT
Last edited by Hoosier Tom on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:49 am

peter4821 wrote:What state are you in?
It says he's in Louisiana in his first post.

HT

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home