Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Dream Handlbar Question- throttle cut out

DKB
honda305.com Member

Dream Handlbar Question- throttle cut out

Post by DKB » Mon May 25, 2009 8:31 pm

I've been having a tough time finding replacement bars for my 1962 CA77. Ordered an aftermarket set from Apexcycles but they never arrived and they've been much less than helpful in resolving the issue. My bike is off the road until I can find bars out so I'm looking into other options. I've been watching ebay like a hawk but have only seen a few bent bars come up in the past couple of weeks and some from Thailand.

Does anyone know of handlebars off any other year/make early honda that have the same internal throttle cutout and would work with the stock dream cables/switches? I already tried taking a standard 7/8" bar that I liked to a machine shop to have the throttle assembly and wiring holes cut but they wanted 200.00. A bit steep... Not to concerned with keeping things original as it's easy enough to swap back at some point- Just trying to figure out a short term solution to get back on the road now that the weather is good.

Sorry for the redundant thread. I searched the archives but couldn't find any specific info on what other bars may work without to much hassle or modification. Thanks so much. David

bj
honda305.com Member

Post by bj » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:14 am

I had a machine shop cut out the throttle slot on some superbike bars and it cost me $80 (in Socal). I cut the other holes myself with a dremel.

Maybe another shop will do it for less?

Good Luck,

Bryan

DKB
honda305.com Member

Post by DKB » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:40 am

Thanks! I actually just found a guy in East Harlem who was able to drill out the bars for me. I ended up using CB low rise bars that I had on hand and they look quite nice. Worked out fine with the stock cable lengths, though I did replace the front brake and clutch cable with new cables minus the metal casing near the levers. I figure it will be straight forward enough to swap back to the original bars if I find one down the road.

I'll post some photos a bit later on. Running out to get my inspection now that the bike is all sorted...

DKB
honda305.com Member

Post by DKB » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:32 pm

Finally got everything finished up. Passed NY State inspection without any problems. New bars are cut and on the bike. Everything was rather straight forward once I found someone to cut the throttle slot. I attached a couple of photos of my bike with the replacement bars and bar end mirrors. I actually like how it looks and rides with the lower rise bars. A bit tougher on the lower back but a blast around town.
Attachments
CA77 w/ CB750 bars
CA77 w/ CB750 bars
Last edited by DKB on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DKB
honda305.com Member

Post by DKB » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:36 pm

One more shot of the bike. *And yes- I know the clutch cable is routed incorrectly:) That's next on today's list.
Attachments
Back on the road....
Back on the road....

nevada72
honda305.com Member

Post by nevada72 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:27 am

Very nice. I like the low bar look.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home