Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Dream Bobber!

chuckspeed
honda305.com Member

Dream Bobber!

Post by chuckspeed » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:03 pm

Guys-<br /><br />I've inherited a CA77 Dream from my cousin about six months back. Was going to do a full resto on the bike, but it was just too far gone - fender &amp; frame shot - lots of parts missing; hard siezed motor.<br /><br />So - I had inspiration hit about two weeks back....<br /><br />I'm gonna make a bobber outta the bits.<br /><br />Here's the spec:<br /><br />Fenderless front end<br />10&quot; bob off rear fender<br />2&quot; lowered rear suspension<br />1mm overbore on motor<br />hidden electrics<br />filled side panels - no sidecovers<br />Red rims<br />whitewall tires<br />10&quot; rise bars<br />White leather springer solo seat<br />white handgrips<br />starter delete<br />forward controls<br />straight pipe fishtails<br />custom chromie side inlet air cleaner<br />Flat black paint<br />gloss red internals (inside frame and gas tank)<br />Tribal pinstriping<br />sausage tail lamp<br /><br />I've done the build sheet; have it out to parts suppliers right now. have the bike torn down and am getting ready to start the build; hope to have it done by June-ish. I'm going for a late 50's - early 60's pre-chopper 'look'; back in the day you made do with whatcha had by unbolting as much stuff as possible. I've pulled a good 50# of crap off the bike as it is; the finished product will be a naked bobbed hotrod Dream.<br /><br />In looking thru the Net - it appears no one has ever attempted this. I 'see' the bike quite clearly in my mind - it's cool as heck!<br /><br />Is there a place on this forum where I may post pics of progress?<br /><br />From the house of speed and chrome,<br /><br />Chuck.

jlerma
honda305.com Member

Re: Dream Bobber!

Post by jlerma » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:48 pm

why not just post it here in this thread? or just get a free image hosting service and post a link. I think the owner of this site may post pics if your ride is good enough ;).

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:26 pm

Sounds cool to me! But then I like egg salad. Steve Greer

perryT200
honda305.com Member

Post by perryT200 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:31 pm

i use<br /><br />http://photobucket.com/<br /><br />to host a few of my pictures. worked decent so far.<br /><br />i too would be interested to see your 'dream'. mainly how you do a frame for it.<br /><br />in my mind, there is a huge difference between bike building and bike restoration. i don't weld or pound metal, i spend more time with degreaser and paint stripper.<br /><br />hope to see some pictures soon.

chuckspeed
honda305.com Member

Post by chuckspeed » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:18 am

thanks, guys!<br /><br />I've owned over 30 cars and 20-odd bikes in my motoring career. I was taught by Pop to adhere to the restoration mantra of 'KEEP IT ORIGINAL!' since starting in the resto hobby back in the 70's. I've been pretty good about that - last bike I re-did was a '66 Superhawk; after that I cleaned and detailed a '73 BMW R75/5.<br /><br />In the meantime, I've come to understand something about motorcycling - something that Indian Larry said best:<br /><br />Motorcycles can be rolling art. <br /><br />The intent of the Dream Bobber project is to make a bike that is faithful to a period - The infancy of custom bikes. Originally I was going to do a fullon resto of the little critter, but the cost of the resto was just too great. <br /><br />Meanwhile, I attended a show recently with a bunch of late 50's and early 60's customs...rat rods, if you wish. I remember that back in the day (late 70's) most 'rods' were ratty at best. Well, If you're gonna re-create a theme, you oughta be faithful, right?<br /><br />It's kinda liberating, actually...building a bobber means I'm free to make it any way I see fit. My expression - my rules.<br /><br />Indian Larry was right.

thankful
honda305.com Member

Post by thankful » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:33 pm

chuckspeed wrote:<br />thanks, guys!<br /><br />I've owned over 30 cars and 20-odd bikes in my motoring career. I was taught by Pop to adhere to the restoration mantra of 'KEEP IT ORIGINAL!' since starting in the resto hobby back in the 70's. I've been pretty good about that - last bike I re-did was a '66 Superhawk; after that I cleaned and detailed a '73 BMW R75/5.<br /><br />In the meantime, I've come to understand something about motorcycling - something that Indian Larry said best:<br /><br />Motorcycles can be rolling art. <br /><br />The intent of the Dream Bobber project is to make a bike that is faithful to a period - The infancy of custom bikes. Originally I was going to do a fullon resto of the little critter, but the cost of the resto was just too great. <br /><br />Meanwhile, I attended a show recently with a bunch of late 50's and early 60's customs...rat rods, if you wish. I remember that back in the day (late 70's) most 'rods' were ratty at best. Well, If you're gonna re-create a theme, you oughta be faithful, right?<br /><br />It's kinda liberating, actually...building a bobber means I'm free to make it any way I see fit. My expression - my rules.<br /><br />Indian Larry was right.<br />
<br /><br />This sounds good - now what happened to the photos?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />

thankful
honda305.com Member

Post by thankful » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:34 pm

chuckspeed wrote:<br />thanks, guys!<br /><br />I've owned over 30 cars and 20-odd bikes in my motoring career. I was taught by Pop to adhere to the restoration mantra of 'KEEP IT ORIGINAL!' since starting in the resto hobby back in the 70's. I've been pretty good about that - last bike I re-did was a '66 Superhawk; after that I cleaned and detailed a '73 BMW R75/5.<br /><br />In the meantime, I've come to understand something about motorcycling - something that Indian Larry said best:<br /><br />Motorcycles can be rolling art. <br /><br />The intent of the Dream Bobber project is to make a bike that is faithful to a period - The infancy of custom bikes. Originally I was going to do a fullon resto of the little critter, but the cost of the resto was just too great. <br /><br />Meanwhile, I attended a show recently with a bunch of late 50's and early 60's customs...rat rods, if you wish. I remember that back in the day (late 70's) most 'rods' were ratty at best. Well, If you're gonna re-create a theme, you oughta be faithful, right?<br /><br />It's kinda liberating, actually...building a bobber means I'm free to make it any way I see fit. My expression - my rules.<br /><br />Indian Larry was right.<br />
<br /><br />This sounds good - now what happened to the photos?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home