Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Sidecar mounting for a Dream?

DavePhipps
honda305.com Member

Sidecar mounting for a Dream?

Post by DavePhipps » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:29 pm

HI guys.

I'm getting a 1966 CA77 in about a week and I'm think of putting a (very)small sidecar on it. I've been looking around at the mounting points that might be used, and I can't seem to find good spots.
If anyone has seen this done, can you share how? I was looking forwad to zipping about town with my kids and this beauty.

Dave

eboutlaw
honda305.com Member

Post by eboutlaw » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:39 pm

How about the rear foot peg bolt on the swing arm? I haven't done it, but that was one I was looking at when considering doing it.

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:02 pm

I have seen a sidecar on a CA160. Took a look at the mounting but now I forgot. More than likely a frame of sorts would have to be made that used a few key mounting areas such as the top engine mount, and one or two of the lower engine mounts. The footpeg of the swingarm would be a bad place since it moves.

Kevin

DavePhipps
honda305.com Member

Post by DavePhipps » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:25 pm

I've been talking to the owner of http://www.sidestrider.com/ and he has a few ideas but the they require a mount in front of the engine.
I don't have the bike, so I can't take a nice long contemplative look yet. That will be next weekend hopefully :).
I keep you guys updated. If I figure it out I'll post pics.

Dave

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:34 am

Hey Dave,

Doug Bingham of Sidestrider, I actually sat next to him at dinner last Sat. night at a sidecar rally in Anamosa, IA. If anyone could mount a sidecar to something it would be him.

I have mounted 3 of them. My current sidecar rig is a '85 Honda V65 Sabre with a motorvation sidecar on it.

Since the Dream engine hangs from the frame and the fact that it is a stamped frame create a few problems. If it were me I would build a frame that attaches to the bike frame. Just a round or square tube that has tabs to attach at the lower engine mounts and then bent or angled up to the top mount and have a tab there. Then when you attach the sidecar you could place it next to the bike and add mounting points on that frame you built wherever they are needed. A good place to mount the rear upper mount might be the upper shock mount.

One thing to keep in mind. Even an empty sidecar puts a lot of drag on the bike. I'm guessing that even when running empty that the sidecar will drop the speed down to 50-55 max on a good running Dream.

Later,
Kevin

DavePhipps
honda305.com Member

Post by DavePhipps » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:47 am

Hmmm. 55 mph would make it a pain as most traffic on the highway here moves at 65 -80 mph. STill it would be sweet around town. Maybe I should leave the cA77 rigless and put the sidecar on the streetfighter 84 Interceptor (V4 POWER!!! WOOT!). If I can figure out a quick release mechanism for it I can trade between bikes.
Thanks for the advice Kevin. You saved me much head scratching.

Dave

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:58 am

Even without a sidecar on the Dream it will have problems keeping up with 65-80 mph traffic!

Quick release and sidecar are not two words you want to mention in the same sentence.

For lots more info on sidecars check out.

http://www.sidecar.com the forum section

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

The Interceptor might be a decent bike to put a hack on.

My 1100 V4 has power to spare. Burning donuts on pavement.

Kevin

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home