□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1963 CA-78 Left side cover mounting.

Jims65CA77
honda305.com Member

Post by Jims65CA77 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:24 am

KellieLyyne, thanks for letting me know that info! I am here to learn too. ;^)

Very nice Dream too! The white looks "rich".

Jim

Doddsr
honda305.com Member

Post by Doddsr » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:51 pm

Beautiful white dream! Hopefully I'll be there someday. Thanks for the reply. I'm learning as I go. Someday I will find someone close who has the same model and I can do a side by side reference. Gotta love the slight differences, which has put my part ordering plan on hold until I learn more. A lot of salvage / parts resources do NOT know the differences from bike to bike so following their parts description posts have to be thoroughly looked at and photos as well. Once again beautiful bike and I will definitely hit you up in the future for info. Thank you.

KellieLyyne
honda305.com Member

Post by KellieLyyne » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:35 pm

Thanks Jim, and Dodd, I love my bike, and it's a daily rider. It was so pretty after the resto I almost didn't want to mess it up, but I got over that real fast!!! They are great little bikes.

That's exactly what we came up against when we were restoring my bike. Lots of people selling parts but not sure of the year of the bike that they came off of. What's the frame # and engine # of your bike? Mine frame # is 311465 and engine is CA77E 311472. If you don't have them yet, get Bill Silvers books. They helped us a lot. Also, I learned, to take lots and lots of pictures while taking things apart for reference at a later date.

Again don't hesitate to ask if you need anything! Have fun with it! :)

Jims65CA77
honda305.com Member

Post by Jims65CA77 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:05 pm

KellieLyyne wrote:Thanks Jim, and Dodd, I love my bike, and it's a daily rider. It was so pretty after the resto I almost didn't want to mess it up, but I got over that real fast!!! They are great little bikes.
If you don't have them yet, get Bill Silvers books. They helped us a lot. Also, I learned, to take lots and lots of pictures while taking things apart for reference at a later date.

Again don't hesitate to ask if you need anything! Have fun with it! :)
I had another OLD antique bike out for a ride and stopped at a friends house. His dad said, Hey... you got mud all over the back of it... I just laughed and said... Yeah, isn't that great?

The first thing I did was buy Bill Silvers Dream Restoration CD. GREAT STUFF on that!!! Info that you can't get anywhere. He did an incredible job on it!

Jim

conbs
honda305.com Member

1963 CA78

Post by conbs » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:16 pm

Dodd,

The parts manuals are not accurate for a lot of the parts that were original to your bike so asking lots of questions is the way to go. You are correct that you cannot depend on sellers to know what they have.

I saw a couple of the brackets for your side cover on ebay yesterday. Do a search of "bracket" and CA77 or CA78. You should find them. The later ones are quite a bit more narrow for the later cover battery. If you measure your battery tray it should be close.

I have figured out the differences for some CA77 vs CA78 parts. I will be happy to share whatever knowledge I have.

Is your plan for a restoration or a rider? What parts do you need?

Doddsr
honda305.com Member

Post by Doddsr » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:39 pm

Having a hell of a time getting photos up loaded to this forum. Followed the guidelines on the forum page but Flickr doesn't give be the option to share the photo and the destination that needs to entered into a post or reply. Maybe it's because I'm just doing from my I phone? However will get the frame and engine number soon. Had them written down but who knows where they are now. Bike is currently stored in the shed in the back yard and stuffed full of crap due to moving to new house over the last four days. Have something up soon.

I will try to get some measurements of the batt box as well. However mine is a little mangled. Looks like someone removed the last battery with a crow bar and sledge hammer ??

As far as parts that are needed .... Well a new bike would probably be the best answer. Needs lots of stuff. Bike was cheap and close by. Plus this a sanity hobby of mine so hunting and building is half the fun for me and an excuse to hide out in the garage. Will get my list located and posted also.

conbs
honda305.com Member

Pics

Post by conbs » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Pictures can't be over 512 KB and no PDF's. You should be able to browse from this site and upload whatever is on your computer (within those limits).

No pressure from me. I hate moving more than anything else in life.

I agree with you that working on these bikes is very therapeutic - though probably not cheaper than just getting a shrink.... The only thing more fun for me is riding them.

When you get to a flat spot in your unpacking take some time to let us know what you need.

Does the clutch cable come in from behind or straight down into the right side case?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home