□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Trying to get the Dream ready

SWARDLAW
honda305.com Member

Post by SWARDLAW » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:03 pm

The cable pull on my bike was very hard until I changed my handlebars last summer. I put a lower superbike bend bar on the bike and was forced to cut and shorten all three cables. Now with the shorter and more direct routed clutch cable it has a very smooth and easy pull. Just changed the front sprocket this week to a 14 tooth. Much better pulling power in the hills. The bike did great on the Greenville water shed Sunday. Call any time. Let me know how the bikes doing.

mmiiiiiz
honda305.com Member

Post by mmiiiiiz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:10 pm

I ran into a difficult personal snag that is slowing my progress on the project, sorry for the delay. However, I [i]was [/i]able to replace the circlip on the clutch basket, and that seems to have been the problem with the cable pull being too easy, it was just pushing the basket out, instead of the plates. $4+ buck for that clip! Money well spent though.

As I'd mentioned before, the adjuster on the right (the large slotted screw) was way off from the mark. Right now, it's turned to about 60 degrees away from the mark (better than it was), but any more horizontal, and the right side cover won't go on. From what I can tell, the clutch rod lifter mechanism is about a 1/4" from being flat against the housing (where it would be if the adjuster was horizontal to the mark). I know it rides on an incline to activate, am I supposed to reattach it a different way so that it catches earlier? Is there a good way to take off both / either cover and watch what's going on, it seem like the left cover needs to be on to provide resistance to the lift rod.

Hope that makes sense...

Let me just say at this point, that I've read a ton of stuff on this site about the clutch, and am impressed as well as appreciative of what everyone has taken the time to write. Not that I understand hardly any of it, but it's all there! Thanks.

Steve (SWARDLAW) I'll probably give you a call tomorrow, just to touch base as say hey.

Mike

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home