□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Trying to get the Dream ready

mmiiiiiz
honda305.com Member

Post by mmiiiiiz » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:41 pm

After getting the bike to fire up, I noticed that pulling in the clutch lever gave absolutely no resistance. I pulled both cases off (a couple of times), and eventually found the circlip that holds the clutch basket on the shaft was just sitting there. I assumed that when I pulled the lever, instead of pushing the plates out, it just pushed the whole clutch basket forward and then there was no resistance to the lifter. With the clip back in, I eventually got the clutch cable adjusted to where it feels like there's at least a bit of resistance. I thought I had it right, according to at least my understanding of the clutch/cable adjustment posts that I read here. But I still don't feel like it's giving the right resistance, it certainly would be nice if it was as easy to pull as it is now, but I doubt it should be.

In and effort to check it, I put everything back together, started the bike and shifted into gear. The rear wheel drives, but there's a fair amount of noise and vibrating coming from the clutch area, and the wheel is unaffected by pulling in the clutch.

I will drain the oil and have another look, but I thought I'd throw this up on the forum, and see if there's any thoughts on what to look for. Is there a way to see if the clutch plates are separating with the covers off?

Thanks

SWARDLAW
honda305.com Member

Post by SWARDLAW » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Do you need any parts or help getting it going? I di try to post pictures of my bike but the pictures were unable to down loaded. The pictures were to large to be used on this site. I haven't figured out yet how to down size my photos. Email if you need help or parts. gmantheman@bellsouth.net

mmiiiiiz
honda305.com Member

Post by mmiiiiiz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:52 pm

Thanks for the offer swardlaw. I'm pretty sure I have all the parts (I even have a few extras that came off and don't know where they go back yet...), but you never know, and depending on how it goes in the next several days, I may be looking for some help. I need to get a new circlip, the old one came off again, and maybe it's just worn/stretched. I will get a new 5/16 metal ball for the clutch push rod while I'm at it, the old one is still there, but that may be worn as well.

I have some difficulty sizing my pics as well (as y'all can probably tell by having to scroll just to see one shot). I have been decreasing the pixel count for now, just to get them on. Not so great at working on bikes, worse at working on computers.

SWARDLAW
honda305.com Member

Post by SWARDLAW » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Mine did the same thing until I finally pulled the whole clutch basket out and started over. Clean all the disk (friction and steel). If they stick together it takes alot of force to try and push them apart. Once I cleaned and and checked everything it worked without kicking off the clip ring. Make sure to lube the cable good with a very light oil or cable spray. Byu the way my name is Steve. Call if you need help. 864-288-0442. I love these old bikes and don't mind the labor of love they need.

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:39 pm

Did you adjust the clutch at the release down on the right side cover? Loosen the bolt a bit with 10mm and then use large screwdriver to turn the adjuster. Turn clockwise until you feel resistance and then back off just a bit. Tighten bolt.

mmiiiiiz
honda305.com Member

Post by mmiiiiiz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:54 am

I had cleaned the clutch plates already, checked them out and they seemed OK. Had a brand new cable installed (maybe it's too long?), and lubed that completely. I did adjust the clutch at the right case with the slotted screw/cap, and tightened the 10mm bolt, as best I could from all of the directions and tips I've read. The last adjustment I made there, left the slotted screw nearly perpendicular to the horizontal mark on the case (sort of like a back slash on the computer). Of course, that was before I found the circlip loose again...I would imagine it's not supposed to be that far off the mark on the case.

Once I get a new steel ball and circlip, and rule those out, I'll try the adjustments again. Since it's such a pain to keep doing, can I start the bike without any of the exhaust attached?

Steve, thanks for your info, I may give you a call for a tip or two, or just to say hey...

Mike

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:24 pm

The slot in the adjuster should be fairly close to the mark on the case.

You could run it without the mufflers but I would at least have the exhaust pipes on.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home