□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1963 CA-78 Left side cover mounting.

Doddsr
honda305.com Member

Post by Doddsr » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:45 pm

The clutch cable enters at about a 45 degree angle in the rear of the right engine cover. I've got the correct right side cover purchased and installed. It also has the cut out for the clutch cable. I also purchased the left side cover and top of the battery clamp / bracket from the same person and it was also the same green metallic color which led me to believe that the covers I purchased were correct for the bike I have and were removed from one that was the same. I just think I need the batt box, I know it is messed up and looks to be missing the slot/ tab that I need to mount the left side cover (bottom).

My bike is one of those 1963's that has the 5,000 number gap between the engine and frame. Sounds like Honda was making the transition to the CA78 and was using up the motors with SN#'s that were built for CA-77s. My frame is stamped CA-78 the starts with a 3 for a 6 digit SN. Just can't remember the rest. My motor is a C77 with a 3 starting a 6 digit SN# and coded 'E' series motor.

Thanks for the help on the photo up loads. I will give it a shot when the wife is off my - I mean when things slow down.

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:41 am

D; I have a battery tray for an early dream. I removed it and upgraded to late style on a bitsa bike I built, makes battery buying much easier. PM me your address and I'll send it to you for cost of shipping.
Randy

conbs
honda305.com Member

Parts changes

Post by conbs » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:48 am

Dodd,

For some reason the left and right side covers changed at different points in production. It is not a good idea to assume anything when it comes to these bikes. Always consult your parts manual. It will almost certainly be correct for changes where the frame/engine number listed is anything other than a 1963. Side covers are an example. Apart from that, since yours is a CA78, you will need "late" parts. But, always check the parts manual.

Every single 1963 CA78 that I have run across has the 5,000 gap in the frame/engine numbers. All the other 305 Dreams, including 1963 CA77's will (almost always) be within 200 units.

Your engine will have a "CA77E" top case. If not, let us know.

You should have the early battery and the tray should be about 2 5/8" deep. Randy's offer is generous and you should take him up on it. But, measure everything first to be sure. Confirming that the parts you are getting are the ones you need will have to be a way of life for you with your bike to avoid the frustration Kelley went through (On the other hand, probably any amount of frustration would be worth it to end up with a bike as beautiful as hers).

Best wishes on your project.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home