□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 Honda Dream 305 Sticky Throttle

OldHarley
honda305.com Member

Post by OldHarley » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:14 pm

I will say again that I remain TOTALLY convinced that ALL Dream sticky twist throttle issues are aggravated by an inherent design problem - that is, the adjuster being located mid-cable.

When adjusted out, the two separate OUTER sheathes have a (1/2" to 1") gap at the adjuster. This allows that unsupported length of inner cable to BEND slightly at the adjuster - that combined with the forced "push" that happens with the twist throttle grip design itself causes a bind point that is seen as slow or sticky throttle.

Save yourself a LOT of grief and use a CB72 external throttle with a 262-000 cable and fix the problem for good. Once you do it you will find that the throttle snaps back like a new bike!.

danielzink
honda305.com Member

Post by danielzink » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:41 am

OldHarley wrote:I will say again that I remain TOTALLY convinced that ALL Dream sticky twist throttle issues are aggravated by an inherent design problem - that is, the adjuster being located mid-cable.

When adjusted out, the two separate OUTER sheathes have a (1/2" to 1") gap at the adjuster. This allows that unsupported length of inner cable to BEND slightly at the adjuster - that combined with the forced "push" that happens with the twist throttle grip design itself causes a bind point that is seen as slow or sticky throttle.

Save yourself a LOT of grief and use a CB72 external throttle with a 262-000 cable and fix the problem for good. Once you do it you will find that the throttle snaps back like a new bike!.
Did this last year on my Dream and couldn't be happier....ebay for both parts and you'll be amazed at the difference...

Dan

Muddy
honda305.com Member

Post by Muddy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:21 am

OldHarley wrote:I will say again that I remain TOTALLY convinced that ALL Dream sticky twist throttle issues are aggravated by an inherent design problem - that is, the adjuster being located mid-cable.

What a great tip!
Thanks.

Regards

Muddy

'64 C72
'63 C72

staggerwing
honda305.com Member

Post by staggerwing » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:19 am

Thank you for the advice! I can't imagine riding this bike with any faith that I have control over the throttle as one should. It certainly is a bad design.
I looked on eBay and saw some cables. Not quite sure what the throttle grip should entail. I can see how the cable attaches to it but I didn't see how it attaches to the handlebar. I assume it has a different collar than the original CA77 one? Any pictures available from someone that has done this retrofit? I'm sorry. I'm a newbie!
Nathan

danielzink
honda305.com Member

Post by danielzink » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:19 am

staggerwing wrote:Thank you for the advice! I can't imagine riding this bike with any faith that I have control over the throttle as one should. It certainly is a bad design.
I looked on eBay and saw some cables. Not quite sure what the throttle grip should entail. I can see how the cable attaches to it but I didn't see how it attaches to the handlebar. I assume it has a different collar than the original CA77 one? Any pictures available from someone that has done this retrofit? I'm sorry. I'm a newbie!
Nathan
Mounts the same way as the stock throttle.... 2 piece...clamps around the bars...

danielzink
honda305.com Member

Post by danielzink » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:01 am

Oh...and....I think I used a CB77 throttle assembly...CB72 and CB77 (throttle assembly) I believe are the same...(for your ebay search)

staggerwing
honda305.com Member

Post by staggerwing » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:10 pm

Thanks, Dan! That helps alot.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home