□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Mysteriously not starting on otherwise well tuned Dream 305

Nick
honda305.com Member

Post by Nick » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:46 am

There's more to 'cleaning the carb' than simply checking that the jets are clear. The carb should be completely stripped (all jets, floats, rubber removed). Then soak in lacquer thinner (not carb cleaner, solvent, etc. -- lacquer thinner!) for 20 min or so, then blow out with compressed air.

After soaking be sure to give the air-screw orifices a good blast with the air.

How to check if your pilot circuit is plugged: Once you get the bike running, use the idle screw to set the idle. If it won't idle at low rpm, set the idle a little higher. If turning the air screw has little or no effect on the idle speed, the pilot circuit (low speed circuit) is plugged.

That would also explain the hard starting, as the engine is getting no fuel when starting.

Try putting some gas in a hand sprayer, shoot a small amount down the carb throat and try starting it. If the bike starts, runs briefly and dies, it's the carb. If the engine still won't run, it's electricical.
Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always had.

casamere
honda305.com Member

Post by casamere » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:59 am

The two wires that come from the condenser are nothing to do with your brake light. One goes to the points the other to the ignition coil. I think you may have a serious wiring problem somewhere on the electrical side.

dreamneworleans
honda305.com Member

Post by dreamneworleans » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:17 am

casamere wrote:The condenser boosts your spark it's only a small unit but it plays a major role in starting. By all means try a new set of plugs then you know that is covered. A condenser can fail anytime without warning. I'm afraid it's down to checking everything that is connected with the firing process.
Thanks.. new plugs didn't do it.. but it still rumbles a bit when I try to start it.. something is cutting it off at that point.. do you know how to check the condenser?

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:29 am

Rectifier, maybe...? If it has electronic ignition the condenser shouldn't even be a factor...

Does the bike have the original rectifier, or the Radio Shack modified one?

Could also check the carb where it attaches to the manifold...might be loose, allowing a vacuum leak.

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

valves?

Post by jleewebb » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:45 am

Have you adjusted valve clearances recently? Quick subjective compression test would be to remove one spark plug, crank it over, replace it and remove other plug and crank over again...Does starter spin more freely on one side than the other?
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

dreamneworleans
honda305.com Member

Post by dreamneworleans » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:41 pm

casamere wrote:The condenser boosts your spark it's only a small unit but it plays a major role in starting. By all means try a new set of plugs then you know that is covered. A condenser can fail anytime without warning. I'm afraid it's down to checking everything that is connected with the firing process.
So the new plugs did not work.. It wants to start.. rumbled a little more today when I tried. How do I actually test the condenser and start solenoid.. I don't know where else to look...

Any thoughts are helpful. Thanks

dreamneworleans
honda305.com Member

Re: valves?

Post by dreamneworleans » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:45 pm

jleewebb wrote:Have you adjusted valve clearances recently? Quick subjective compression test would be to remove one spark plug, crank it over, replace it and remove other plug and crank over again...Does starter spin more freely on one side than the other?
Sorry. I just saw this post.. Thank you. I will try that test... There is a local guru that helped me tune it up and fix a couple of things about a year ago and I believe he adjusted the valve clearances. Unfortunately, he no longer has his mobile service anymore. I am not above having someone come in to help me out, but it is hard to find those people.

Thanks

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home