□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Back to Dead...

SAM33
honda305.com Member

Post by SAM33 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:29 am

Thank you Nick! Advice from veterans is exactly what I'm looking for!
So maybe back to my original notion of thoroughly going through the wiring then.

I'm impressed you still have the original harness in. Mine's SUCH a patchwork with old cloth electrical tape everywhere, I have to say it gives me pause.

SAM33
honda305.com Member

Winterize?

Post by SAM33 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:24 pm

I haven't posted here in a long time. didn't want to be a too needy newbie.

In my saga since the last post, I've had it running off and on. I have a loose wire that gives out somewhere between the points and the condenser, but wiggling it gets me going again.

I just need to get up the courage to re-wire at least this much of it, I know.

BUT - it has gotten increasingly hard to start, sometimes third kick, sometimes not at all.
Backfires, just won't bite. Like that now. The next time it may start right up again.

OH well, it's nearly winter now, and the last time I had it running I got a rear flat!

I'm putting it away for now, think I will order new tires for spring (been wanting whitewalls anyway) and if I can afford it just look to hire somebody to go over it (IF I can even find anyone!), I have to admit I need to learn way more than I know to keep it reliably going.

SO, my final question for at least 4 months or so is:
Best way to store it? Tank full with stabilizer or drained? It will be in an unheated shed, dry but cold.

Thanks!

revlover
honda305.com Member

Post by revlover » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:57 pm

If just for winter, I'd say tank full with stabilized gas and drain the carb and petcock.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home