Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Coil testing

froggy
honda305.com Member

Coil testing

Post by froggy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi all,
I am troubleshooting why my dream 305 isn't starting anymore. Started it yesterday, idled fine and after maybe 2 minutes, i saw the rear light go off and the engine died. Couldn't start it since. Battery is fully charged, but when i push on starter button nothing happens (no clicks or anything). Kick starting isn't working either.
I wonder if my coil went bad, but i can't find specs online to test it.
the info on it are:
Denso, Japan, 29700-024-0, 12V (small print 29706-029-1). Bottom is stamped 3T.

Any help would be welcome.
cheers
Ivan

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:37 pm

Do any of the lights work on the bike when you turn the key to a position where lights should be on? Have you checked the fuse?

DONZIE
honda305.com Member

Post by DONZIE » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:57 pm

FUSE

froggy
honda305.com Member

Post by froggy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:35 pm

Yes, after testing all the connections a, cleaning them up, using dielectric grease......and it was the damn fuse. Always check first what is the easiest...

However i have another question. The starter solenoid seems to work. I opened it up, cleaned all the surfaces in there and when you press on the starter button i can see it go up. However, it's not triggering the starter motor.
I bypassed the solenoid by directly connection the starter motor to the battery (through the wire leaving the solenoid and going to the starter motor) and I get the motor going just fine.

So, is it that the little arm that goes up inside the starter solenoid and making contact at the top doesn't reach or...?
Thank you

PS: only the rear light works, nothing on the front...

Waveblaster
honda305.com Member

Post by Waveblaster » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:16 pm

On mine the contacts in the ignition switch were making bad connections. I had to take apart carefully! and clean and lubricate the contacts.

If you have a multimeter or test light and wiring diagram you should be able to prove this. Check you are getting Volts for the lighting and ignition circuits where applicable.

When disassembling, be careful to pay close attention to the placement of the internal contacts , balls and springs. They can be easily placed back incorrectly. A photo may be a good idea. Also the orientation of the cable in relation to the body.

re soleniod: can you rig a test lead to the primary side and see if it throws the solenoid and cranks the engine ? If so perhaps again the ignition may be at fault assuming the wiring is correct.

Greg

froggy
honda305.com Member

Post by froggy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:02 pm

So, I m still troubleshooting the solenoid. Ones you be removed both the top and bottom of the outer casing, how do you st the actual solenoid out? I want to see how it looks and check if I have power going to the hot wire. Thanks

froggy
honda305.com Member

Post by froggy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:05 am

sorry folks: i posted my last message from my phone...and it sucked!
Here is a more english friendly version ;-)

So, I m still troubleshooting the starter solenoid. Once you have removed both the top and bottom of the outer casing of the solenoid, how do you get the actual solenoid out? I want to see how it looks and check if I have power going to the hot wire.
For now, I installed a wire going straight from the battery to the starter motor with a push (on/off) button. Same as the one on your handlebar, except it's located below my seat! ;-)

Thanks for your inputs.
cheers

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home