Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Dream Rebuild Resource Group?

Onemilewest
honda305.com Member

New to the forum

Post by Onemilewest » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:35 pm

I am new to the forum and still need to navigate a little to figure it all out, but add me to the list. I just picked up a 65 CA77 and will attempt a complete restoration. This is my first resto, so all help is appreciated.

wombat200
honda305.com Member

Post by wombat200 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:03 am

Ahhh, the Joys of restoration.....

I have 3 dreams - A C76 dry sump, an early '61 CA72 & a '65 C77.

The C76 is in the best condition & will be restored to show standard;

The CA72 is in pretty poor condition, but will be restored to a ready-rider that will look good & be practical to use.

The '65 will be the beast. It's a basket case at the moment & the plan is to build it into a cafe racer reminiscent of the CB92 / CB71 bikes - fly screen, racing seat, dropped bars, cut back rear fender & alloyfront gaurd, megaphones etc. Already have some wiseco pistons, racing valve springs & will be sourcing performance cams - either CL cams or the Megacycle road cams.

Been collecting parts for all three the last 2 years & have lots of spares...... Some useable, others rough, but may come in handy....

allenjerni
honda305.com Member

Dream Restoration group

Post by allenjerni » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:27 pm

I've got 6 Dream 305's from good to wrecked. I am starting restoration on one myself. I am doing a complete restoration and would love to be part of your group to share ideas.

efk1970
honda305.com Member

Dream restoration group

Post by efk1970 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:29 pm

Congrats on the bike. I recently bought a 64 CA77 and while in good original condition, will do a moderate to full resto in due time. I've been riding various bikes for about 20 years. I love working on bikes and my last resto project was a 69 Corvair, it's motor is more like an old bike motor than a car motor. I be happy to be part of your group to lend when I can and learn when I cannot lend.

bobaloo
honda305.com Member

Post by bobaloo » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:53 pm

I am in the process of restoring a 1966 305 Honda Dream and I have done several body off automobile restorations.
First, get a digital camera, couple of boxes of the gallon size Ziploc bags, Sharpie marker, graph paper, tape measure, dial caliper and patience.
First take pictures of the bike from all angles, close ups etc. As you dissamble each of the components take a picture of it. I usually lay the fasteners and their counterparts on graph paper with an extended tape measure and write the componet name on the upper portion of the graph paper. Take a picture then bag the componets. Larger components can be boxed but bag the fasteners and place it in the box with the larger component. Label everything and take pictures of each of the components assembled and dissasembled. I have fasteners refinished (in bulk) and when I get them back I utilize the computer generated photos to identify them to the approriate component. This is where the digital photo zoom feature on the computer makes sorting this out a lot easier. Measure everything - for example when I dissasembled the wheels, I found that the inner and outer spokes were different in length. Take your time dissassembling and think things through. Proper preparation and identification will help when you start putting it back togther.
Use an impact driver (hammer type) to loosen screws. This will eliminate stripped phillip screw heads etc. Use water instead of oil, WD40 to loosen rusty components let the water saturate the rusty component. Water will soften the rust. Do not force or try to gorrilla a part to remove it. If it does not come off there is something that you over looked that is keeping it from coming apart. Older components can be hard to replace so take your time and think it through. Air operated tools have their place but for restoration it is best to manually do the tear down. Power tools can be disconnecting. I like to feel what is happening, in this way I do not destroy a part that I may have difficulty replacing.
Thread chase when required and use anti seize where appropriate.
Take your time and read everything you possibly can about your motorocycle. Purchase a service and repair manual as the schematics and assembly specifications are very helpful. In my research, I have found that there is not a whole lot of information on Honda Dreams - this site seems to be one of the better sites.
Dont get ahead of yourself and your restoration will be fun.

Enjoy,

Bobaloo

Onemilewest
honda305.com Member

Post by Onemilewest » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:55 pm

Well here is when I brought it home and tomorrow off to powder coat.

Oh, you can't powder coat Bondo..... Anyone have a front fender they want to sell? The bottom of mine where the mud flap attaches is smashed.

Mike
Attachments
BOUGHT.jpg
NOW.jpg
NOW.jpg (10.37 KiB) Viewed 3843 times

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home