Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Two guys and a bike

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:12 am

Ya dern right it is/was.
You are a neophyte with this engine and have an attitude which will cause anyone who knows these engines to feel the same as DONZIE.
You take it totally apart and (I assume) you don't have a parts book or any other information which is available then say "If something can be taken apart I'm going to take it apart!"
I for one will offer this.
"Have a safe day"!. ......lm
Moyomoto wrote:How constructive!

Moyomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by Moyomoto » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:53 pm

48lesco: Yes, definitely a satisfaction in complete disassembly! Through a preliminary search I couldn't find a side by side of the pistons to get a good comparison. Once everything is apart and I'm working on the pistons I'll be sure and dig into that as an issue. I appreciate the insight!

LOUD MOUSE: Surely everyone on this forum was at one time a novice with this and any other engine. I apologize for not mentioning that I have a parts book; I thought it was visible in one of my photos. A recommendation from a member was to get Bill Silver's book, in addition to my general restoration book, which I will do. I am appreciative for any helpful advice or criticism and am always open to it. I also would like to thank you for your concern about my safety! You meet the nicest people on a Honda!

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:45 pm

On the side of the piston by the wrist pin clip may be stamped ART and either CB77 or C&7. A quick and foolproof way to tell!

Davo

Moyomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by Moyomoto » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:48 pm

Excellent! Thanks davomoto! I'll have a look later this week.

Moyomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by Moyomoto » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:40 am

So it has been slow going since I last posted. I had thought about not keeping up with the forums but I find myself more often than not coming here for knowledge so I decided to keep this post going till I have a finished product.

I ordered and received Bill Silver's book as well as the "Clymer Vintage Japanese Street Bikes Manual M305." It might just be personal preference but thus far I find the Clymer manual more helpful; there are many hand drawn sketches and print that I do not find as helpful as the pictures in the M305 but to each their own right?

The latest on the bike is terrible. I placed an order for a bunch of parts, to include a gasket kit and had intended on putting the bike back together. After all I AM a neophyte with this engine and until I get some more experience what is the sense in going any further. I received the parts and proceed in the first step in reassembly when I notice the pistons are locked up. Damn. Well I start doing a visual inspection, wiping off some of the grime from the underside and trying to figure things out when I notice something I had not seen until now...

A crack in my lower crank case. Not sure if this can be repaired as such, so I am searching online for a replacement. Until it is ordered I am somewhat at a halt. For now Sharon will just have to sit in the garage keeping the modern bikes company. Thanks for sticking with me thus far!

Jane11
honda305.com Member

Post by Jane11 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:02 am

Here are some photos of the tear down performed over this past weekend. The plan for next weekend is the engine, replacing all the gaskets and any screws that need it. We had several stripped screws during the tear down and some that were only hand tight! A little scary to think I was riding this thing around. If anything the peace of mind knowing that everything is in complete working order will be worth it. Also if anyone has any tips for taking apart the engine they would be appreciated!

Moyomoto
honda305.com Member

Reviving this thread to update.

Post by Moyomoto » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Decided to replace the cracked crankcase. Photos to follow.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home