honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Dream runs like a top only when float is set super high!!!

sky1haze
honda305.com Member

Dream runs like a top only when float is set super high!!!

Post by sky1haze » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:20 am

Hello good people of the forum!
My dream has had a carb prob. that I have been trying to fix/chase for about a year or so. Blackening plugs after 5 miles or so......
I tried everything. I mean everything. One day out of anger/frustration, I opened the bowl while still attached to the bike and pulled the tab way out, so the float is super out of spec and higher than anyone would ever logically have it set......now it runs amazing!

any ideas why?

Thank-you all!

joel
-joel-

1966 CA77

bloodweiser
honda305.com Member

Post by bloodweiser » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:50 am

Are you sure it's not still running rich?
Float height doesn't effect the ratio, that's the mix screw and the jet's jobs.
A low float height will run OK at lower throttle openings and like crap when you wack it.
A correct float height will allow the most fuel into the bowl w/o coming out the overflow.

New float? Sometimes the tangs are different and the factory spec is meaningless.
--------
'63 Dream
'68 CT90 (x2)
'76 RD400
'06 Xl1200R

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:12 pm

Nice job there - I ran into the same thing with my Dream. I think if the fuel level in the bowl gets too high, the idle circuit spills a little extra fuel into the intake. I have mine set about 4-5mm over spec and it runs fine at all throttle settings. It's the fuel level that's important, not the float height. I think the float hinge, pin, and needle valve spring wear out a little, and it takes a higher float setting to result in the proper fuel level. The Dream carb also takes twice the pounding from intake pulses than the CB and CL's because there's only one of them.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home