Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Dream Rebuild Resource Group?

Watchwait
honda305.com Member

Dream Rebuild Resource Group?

Post by Watchwait » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:37 pm

This Friday, my new/old 1968 CA77 arrives after a long trip from FL to CA. I am going to attempt a "frame-off" restoration, even though I only have a vague clue of what that really means. Though I've worked on cycles before, this will be my first attempt at a restoration of this...scale.

In doing so, I'm trying to establish a list of folks who may have already gone through this process & might be willing to be added to my personal Outlook "Dream Advisory Group" that I could contact when I have..."Issues"...of which I'm sure they'll be a fair amount. I know that posts already exist for this purpose, and I'll be sure to scour those as well.

If this is not such a crazy idea & you would care to provide your direct email, I'll add you to my small-but-growing list of volunteers who seem to want me to "do it right the first time"

Personally, I am a 58 year old Quality Engineer in Paso Robles, CA & have been into bikes off & on for years. Lat bike was a 2003 Harley Fatboy, which confirmed my original thinking: that I really love to work on bikes more than ride them!

Anyway, thanks for your patience!

Steve Sidwell
ssidwell@charter.net

Drifter
honda305.com Member

Dream rebuild resource

Post by Drifter » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:34 pm

I am a 53 year old machinist, who has just purchased a CA77 305 Dream. My first bike, in 1971, was a 150 Dream. It was sold many years ago, and I have been wanting another Dream for quite a while. I finally found one, and want to, like you, do a frame up restoration. Add me to your list and let me know what you come up with. It's been a long rtimew since I worked on an old Honda! LOL

Dave

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:11 am

Hi guys. First of all let me say congratulations to you both on the purchase of both your Dreams. I personally believe there the most beautiful bike ever built. I just about have mine completed and if you have as much fun restoring them as I did mine you'll have a ball.

Your off to the right start by being on this site. All the knowledge you need to restore one of these old gals are here and I must say that there's a great group on folks on here that will help you out.

You can see how I did mine by going to the restoration portion of this site and clicking on The rebirth of a C78 305 Honda Dream and although there's allot I don't know when it comes to the Dream If I can help you out in any way with your projects feel free to email me. Good luck. Paul

Smitty
honda305.com Member

Post by Smitty » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:27 pm

I just picked one up on Sunday, but I also haven't restored a bike in a long time, although I've been working on and riding them since high school.

It will be a complete restoration and it's missing a few incidental parts (exhaust, chain guard, foot pegs, etc.), but the body's in great shape. I was really surprised since it was sitting in the guy's yard in Oakland for 18 years.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you guys get along and will pitch in where I can.

Chris "Smitty" Smith

My last restoration project was a 1920's farmhouse, prior to that it was a 1924 Consolidated (62' classic yacht), so I'm ready for something smaller... ;)

mjmudd
honda305.com Member

add me to the list

Post by mjmudd » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:54 am

Add me to the list, as I am in the process of restoring a 305 Dream also.

I am also looking for muffler packing AND JIS thread pitch screws for engine sidecovers...I have an early model.

Mike

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:44 am

Muffler packing can be had for $6 at the local cycle shop. JIS screws are unobtainium. The good thing is that most of the screws on your bike can be replaces with ISO threads. Only a few such as the points cover will cause you a little grief and those can be re-tapped.

ss440sled
honda305.com Member

Post by ss440sled » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:10 pm

Greetings from Northern Minnesota everyone!!!

I'm also going to try to restore an old 305 Dream. I'd like to have you add me to your list if you wouldn't mind. I haven't taken on a project this big before, but I'm sure we can all help each other out. I'm also looking for a left hand side battery cover because mine is missing. Anyone know where I could get one?

Thanks in advance!

Jon K

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home