Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1965 Honda Dream 305 (New Enthusiast)!

enroy
honda305.com Member

1965 Honda Dream 305 (New Enthusiast)!

Post by enroy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:47 pm

I just found in my Mother in-laws garage a 65 Honda Dream 305 and a 68 Honda C110. I took plenty of pictures of both to begin a learning restoration prjoect. I have "0" experience with motorcycles but I can learn extremely fast and at least have a mechanical working knowledge of things (if I have something to compare to) :)

I would love to start digging my hands into working on the 305, hence I found these boards. I am interested in finding a mentor that can give advice and useful information as to the restoration project. If you are a person who is up for the task please send an email or respond in this thread.

I am eager to learn about these two new bikes and plan to be in it for the long haul. I have never owned a motorcyle and want to put my spirit into one. Once I saw the 305 it just seemed to fit with me. Can't explain it...

Looking forward to hear some responses.

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:42 am

Congrat's- on your find. Tons of help here on this site and the other yahoo 305 site.I was given a nasty 305 2 years ago and since bought a few more to build my bike. They are great to learn on. I never worked on a bike either until this.Just start asking ?'s and you will get plenty of help and pointed in the right dircection.You can look thru old posts also since we all had pretty much the same problems.Joe

enroy
honda305.com Member

Post by enroy » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:01 pm

What yahoo website are you referring to?

I will also have the pictures posted up on a webpage tonight.

Is there a certain book that I should get, for the specifics in part numbers and wiring diagrams? I have read something about microfiche to get the original part numbers. Is that necessary? Or is there some other way to know part numbers for replacements when and if needed.

I know this brings up a completely different thought process. But, I want to restore the bike to all its glorious wonders with a few changes. Mostly in the seat area. I have seen a "solo" seat that looks much better than the original. I know there are many purists out there who might think I am crazy, but it looks so much better. Also, I did read that when in Japan they were sold with solo seats. The other change is the mufflers. I know that these mufflers have rusted through and have become the home of some derilict mice in the past. I saw from the same website a set of replacement mufflers. You can see both the solo seat and mufflers on this site: www.apexcycle.com. I really like the look of that bike they even have pictured.

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:11 pm

Get into yahoo and do a search. You should be able to find the 305 site there.Alot of people frequent both sites.Bill Silvers restoration guide is what most peolple seem to purchase for info. He compiled alot of info on these bikes and is very helpful.Bill frequents the Yahoo site. You can contact him thru there easily.Also, look in the literature section of this site adn his books may be listed there.Solo seats are nice looking. I just purchased a seat cover for my 305 on Ebay and installed it and it looks very nice also.Joe

enroy
honda305.com Member

Post by enroy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:02 pm

Here's the link for the pictures:

http://www.rawnaturaldiet.com/honda.html

I just posted the pages up on our business site.

bill440cars
honda305.com Member

1965 Honda Dream 305 New Enthusiast

Post by bill440cars » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:42 pm

Welcome enroy, You can't beat that. You've got a heck of a start already!
Good luck with your projects. Later on, Bill

amish_greaser
honda305.com Member

Post by amish_greaser » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:07 pm

I just figure I will piggy back onto this topic. I too am a new proud owner of a '65 dream. and I too am a newb to bikes I have owned several hot rods and I'm currently working on my 49 ford but this little thing is new to me.....different than a flathead 8 I would also like to say thanks in advance and please excuse my newbness .....

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home