□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Engine is not seized, but wont go past tdc

jba6555
honda305.com Member

Post by jba6555 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:28 pm

Nope nothing fell inside, i have all the pieces :) I was able to kickstart it just fine after i put the carb back on (except I had the key in the wrong position so it would not start).

jba6555
honda305.com Member

Post by jba6555 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:54 pm

Has anyone had a Cam Chain jump a tooth? I thought it could be a stuck valve, but after some investigating i realized I have a timing issue. Just as my piston gets to tdc the intake valve on the left side opens and hits the piston. It doesnt look like there is anyway to fix this without pulling the engine. Am i right?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:33 pm

Pull the engine. .................lm
jba6555 wrote:Has anyone had a Cam Chain jump a tooth? I thought it could be a stuck valve, but after some investigating i realized I have a timing issue. Just as my piston gets to tdc the intake valve on the left side opens and hits the piston. It doesnt look like there is anyway to fix this without pulling the engine. Am i right?
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

jba6555
honda305.com Member

Post by jba6555 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:26 pm

Just a little update on my project.

After a little investigating I realized that my right side intake valve was hitting my piston. So I pulled the engine. It seems that my Cam Chain roller guide blew up and caused my timing chain to jump a tooth or two. Anyway I guess I just need a few parts and I can start going back together.

Since I am new to the machines is there any "must replace" engine parts that I should take care of while I have got things torn down. The pistons, rings, and cylinder walls all look good (much better than I thought they would be).

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:23 pm

Gaskets for sure. Advancer sprngs would be a good idea; and, by the sound of it, both the camchain tensioner and the camchain guide roller http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/honda-CA ... ccessories are essential. Also, check the cam sprocket rivets for loosening.

If the tensioner roller has 'shattered', then definitely pull the oil pump. If you can't piece the roller back together completely, i.e. there are bits missing, then I would (if it was my motor) split the crankcase and find all the pieces! It there's a bit left in there and you rebuild the top end, then there'll be tears before bedtime, me ol' cocker......

Do you have the Silver guide book(s)? If not, get at least one of them or his CD, either of which crops up on eBay occasionally.

jba6555
honda305.com Member

Post by jba6555 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:40 pm

yeah ive got the CD. Thanks for the info. Now all I have to do is loosen all those pesky screws on the crankcase cover, to get into the bottom half.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home