honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Replacement for '67 CA78 old style battery?

Frank
honda305.com Member

Post by Frank » Tue May 28, 2019 9:29 pm

If anyone is interested in using a new agm battery for the older dreams taking the long, thin batteries , I make an adapter for a motobatt battery that fits perfectly in your battery tray and uses all the original Honda components (ground strap,tool tray,etc,and holds the air cleaner cover in its place. It is a big improvement over the old acid batteries It is the exact same size as the original battery or the wisco jb-2 .It is also featured on Tim Mcdowell"s web site ( classichondarestoration.com) or you can check it out on utube https://youtu.be/a4Q5x5T_Yzk Thanks Tootie

rider5
honda305.com Member

Replacement for 67 CA78 old style battery

Post by rider5 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:04 am

Wow Frank thanks for that reply!!! I just checked it out on the Classic Honda Restoration site and it looks absolutely beautiful! I'll be looking into that if his design ever becomes available for purchase, would be nice if a similar mod could be done for the later frame Dreams as well (maybe they are, haven't actually looked yet).

Keep them old bikes going friend ... "Old's Cool"

Frank
honda305.com Member

Post by Frank » Wed May 29, 2019 10:38 am

They are available through me direct now. I manufacture these in my shop. I am taking orders, if anyone is interested. This is a great new product for the early Dreams that I'm very proud of, and also, glad to be able to contribute to this iconic motorcycle. Thanks Tootie DeMarco.

rider5
honda305.com Member

Replacement for 67 CA78 old style battery

Post by rider5 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:40 am

Here's what I've done to resolve the issue - until I can upgrade to Frank's mod kit that allows sealed battery & still has room for tool tray.

1. Raised tool tray holes up a little more than an inch, gotta keep them parallel and watch that corners are still within limits of the cover.

2. My cables were extended by previous owner, allows acid battery with terminals switched, makes the compartment crowded. Since the neg cable has to be directed a long way I added shrink tubing nearly to the end to avoid shorting.

3. I'm using a YB12N12A-4A-1 high performance power sports battery, got it thru Chrome Battery.

4. With cables carefully directed across top of battery position tool tray in place & attach.

5. Cover barely fits over, have to nudge the neg frame mount a bit to get everything in place.

Will try again to add pics, I've seen directions on posting pics but cannot use the Flickr method at this time. I appreciate all the advice I've gotten in this thread (appreciate the jokes as well). Hopes this helps

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home