Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

help identifing performace cams cl77

dragon79
honda305.com Member

help identifing performace cams cl77

Post by dragon79 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi I have been in the process of resealing my CL77 and while putting the head back together realized the spline on my right side cam and cam holder are worn. also noticed the piece in the center of the cam holder/sprocket for the advance is cracked. So I went to the parts bike for those pieces, cams etc. Now the cams in the parts motor are higher lift and more duration, also valves have stiffer springs and different collars and rockers. also different are the splines they are taller. my main question I guess is, is there any way to id what cams they might be? I measured them and came up with lift of .265 and .229. the cam sprocket piece is cracked also on this one.

Cams safe to use in a basically stock motor??

any info will help.
thanks
Adam

will be in need of cam holder/sprocket. did anyone ever make an adjustable sprocket for these?

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: help identifing performace cams cl77

Post by G-Man » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:46 pm

You could look carefully for any number etched on the cams or check the catalogue of Megacycle for similar lift / duration.

Deep splines are early, shallow splines later.

Adjustable sprocket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB72-77 ... 1069469343

G

dragon79 wrote:Hi I have been in the process of resealing my CL77 and while putting the head back together realized the spline on my right side cam and cam holder are worn. also noticed the piece in the center of the cam holder/sprocket for the advance is cracked. So I went to the parts bike for those pieces, cams etc. Now the cams in the parts motor are higher lift and more duration, also valves have stiffer springs and different collars and rockers. also different are the splines they are taller. my main question I guess is, is there any way to id what cams they might be? I measured them and came up with lift of .265 and .229. the cam sprocket piece is cracked also on this one.

Cams safe to use in a basically stock motor??

any info will help.
thanks
Adam

will be in need of cam holder/sprocket. did anyone ever make an adjustable sprocket for these?
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

OldScrambler
honda305.com Member

CL77 Cams

Post by OldScrambler » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:56 pm

Just catching up after being on the road...............if you want standard cams and other parts for your motor, I have several spares. I would be interested in acquiring your top-end bits for a race-bike project.

BTW..........although your motor may be the exception...........most performance cams with springs and retainers led to a rather short-life for the motor. OK for racing.........not so much for the street.

Thanks..........Dennis in Wisconsin

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home