honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

motors out and on bench..'65 cl77..rebuild? or run it?!

junk726
honda305.com Member

motors out and on bench..'65 cl77..rebuild? or run it?!

Post by junk726 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:25 pm

ok..so here's a dumb question for u guys..(MANY to come).but i am wondering how entailed or "difficulties" i may encounter IF i were to just tackle a complete rebuild..(PO said the shifting was "hard" and i had it running and ran fine..just i am new to the shifting on these and yes..seemed a little hard right around 3rd gear..up into and down..? anyways...seeing as it's already pulled out and i am tackling the resto..i do not fear the mechanical aspect to the job (i am a MMI graduate of Honda and yamaha)..labor doesn't scare me..it is the possibilties of parts availability..? ANY input as to anything i will come across that may be impossible to find (i dont want to have to be stuck battling on ebay and have a motor half torn down!) i KNOW no one has a crystal ball and anything could come up..but i am just leaning on you pros here for any advice...maybe approximate cost assuming piston/cylinders are ok..? best place to get good gasket kits/oil seals, etc..? any known common problems anyone who does this rebuild runs across..and what to watch out for..?
im SURE this is covered somewhere on here..and i do apologize..i searched all day and got great info..just figured i would post up while i am at work tonite..as i am hoping to make some decisions this weekend and get to it! is tranny crazy complicated? i do have bill silver's books..i feel i am ready to do a rebuild...maybe complete top and bottom..we shall see..main factors are parts availability and total cost....i know ya gotta pay to play as they say..but these scramblers as we all know can have some parts that are close to impossible to find or get for the average working man! anyways..thanks in advance for any input! GREATLY appreciated!

conbs
honda305.com Member

Running fine, Shifting hard

Post by conbs » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:30 pm

In my experience my wallet always determines what I do. That said, if your engine is running really good, maybe you should leave it alone. Did you check the compression before you pulled the motor? If it is within limits what are you going to fix?

One option is to turn your motor over (carefully) and pull just the bottom case. (Don't forget the nuts on top in the valley) You should be able to inspect your tranny and the alignment of the gears to see why it is shifting hard. You can check the 14mm bushing, the kick start pawl and teeth on the gears, etc. and replace anything that is worn.

You will need to be careful to keep Hondabond, dirt, etc. out of your top case, but it can be done. Good idea to clean the outside of the cases thoroughly before you split them.

Just pick a path and get after it.

mobilyte
honda305.com Member

Post by mobilyte » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:45 pm

it's on the bench, you have the skills/tools. split the cases and inspect.

engine parts are plentiful and reasonably priced.

spend some time reading posts, you'll get an idea on what to expect & look for. almost every detail about these bikes has been covered in one thread or another.

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:13 pm

Parts are available, and nothing in the engine is rocket science! I'm in Marin, and you can e-mail or PM me if you get stuck, or need hard parts. I have plenty of parts engines. Googlr Retro Bikes in Washington. They have gasket and seal kits, and are an absolute pleaure to deal with!

Davo

junk726
honda305.com Member

splittin cases..

Post by junk726 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:43 pm

Good to hear parts are available!! thanks guys for the input! i GREATLY appreciate it! ok..you have made decision easy then! I'm gonna start tearing it down and do a complete rebuild! Hoping she's pretty solid inside..but we shall soon see! (Davo..i just might be hitting you up if i get stuck on somethin or need a part...thanks in advance!) Here we go!

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:47 pm

Please feel free. You can even come visit my shop in San Rafael, lot of engines, and bikes, in pieces :-)

Davo

junk726
honda305.com Member

tranny culprit.....

Post by junk726 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:09 am

well..first off..might just take u up on that Davo! sometime this winter i may take a trip over there! as i am piling parts and cleaning them up i realized i have no skidplate! so if ya have any..lemme know! no worries..and i just finished tearing bottom end open and all the gears look almost new! i see a BUNCH of sealant between cases..(is this recommended? or what if any sealant is best?) well..upon further inspection i found that Mainshaft 3rd gear will barely if at all..slide on the shaft!! ugh..took it off and it came off hard as all could be..countershaft gears slide easily on shaft..BUT mainshaft 3rd almost seems like its "stuck"..i am guessing someone put in a new tranny or at least SOME new gears as they all look brand new..well..got it to slide better now..i will test fit it all up tomorrow and keep updating..shift forks look good..i am thinking it may just be "sticky" because of it sitting for over 10 years??..? i am gonna clean it up real good and hope it loosens up once its all oiled up..who knows..not sure at this point but making progress! thanks again guys!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home