Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Beginning Restoration

HondaPaul
honda305.com Member

Post by HondaPaul » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:48 am

Jeff
Thanks for the Ohio Cycle tip, I will check them out. One question though: I am not clear on why the bushings need to come out. Why can't I inspect them in the frame? I'm thinking I am just going to wreck them trying to get them out, unless I'm doing something wrong (using a hammer and punch). Also, the lower race on the steering stem has a rubber seal behind it. This thing looks like its not coming off without a special tool. Any advice?

Thanks!
Paul

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:58 am

All of those parts on the stem are removable.
If you just want the rubber seal off it will stretch over the bearing race. .......................lm
HondaPaul wrote:Jeff
Thanks for the Ohio Cycle tip, I will check them out. One question though: I am not clear on why the bushings need to come out. Why can't I inspect them in the frame? I'm thinking I am just going to wreck them trying to get them out, unless I'm doing something wrong (using a hammer and punch). Also, the lower race on the steering stem has a rubber seal behind it. This thing looks like its not coming off without a special tool. Any advice?

Thanks!
Paul

jsmith1107
honda305.com Member

Post by jsmith1107 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:20 am

Hey Paul, can you post a pic please of each thing. Anytime you are talking about something and need help, pics are nice so we can see what's going on as sometimes definitions and names of things can be misinterpreted.

Thanks
1974 Yamaha DT125 Enduro
1974 Harley Davidson AMF X90
1976-7 Yamaha XS 650
2-1966 Honda Scrambler
1973 Suzuki T500 Titan

AlanW
honda305.com Member

shock bush

Post by AlanW » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:34 pm

You can get the shock bushes out of the swingarm by using 2 sockets 1 slightly smaller than the bush the other bigger than it and a piece of stud or long bolt and some washers. Just put the stud through the hole a socket each side then washers and draw it out. make sure the big socket is deep and wide enough to take the bush.
Al.

HondaPaul
honda305.com Member

Post by HondaPaul » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Hi guys

LM, the rubber seal came off just as you said (big surprise), thanks.

Alan, I did get the shock bushes out but did not use your exact method. I did use sockets but for muscle I used a hyd press. One came out fine, one was destroyed. I looked in my parts catalog for a replacement number but the illustration did not show it ?!?. Can anyone help me with a part number or a source for a replacement?

Jeff, sorry for any confusion, I don't have time to post pics right now, but will try to soon.

Thanks
Paul

jsmith1107
honda305.com Member

Post by jsmith1107 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:14 am

Paul,
In terms of the swingarm bushings, you don't have to remove them---if you have the right guy doing your powder, he will make sure he tapes it--or like you said, do it yourself and let him know you did it so he doesn't take it off.

JS
1974 Yamaha DT125 Enduro
1974 Harley Davidson AMF X90
1976-7 Yamaha XS 650
2-1966 Honda Scrambler
1973 Suzuki T500 Titan

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:51 am

Now ya got me wondering.
Are you working on the 2 steel bushings in the swing arm or the frame?. .........lm
HondaPaul wrote:Hi guys

LM, the rubber seal came off just as you said (big surprise), thanks.

Alan, I did get the shock bushes out but did not use your exact method. I did use sockets but for muscle I used a hyd press. One came out fine, one was destroyed. I looked in my parts catalog for a replacement number but the illustration did not show it ?!?. Can anyone help me with a part number or a source for a replacement?

Jeff, sorry for any confusion, I don't have time to post pics right now, but will try to soon.

Thanks
Paul

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home