Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

40 year basement bike

linmictil
honda305.com Member

basement bike

Post by linmictil » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Question: My bike had about 5000 miles on it. I had to cut the cam chain to get the head off. Could I splice it together using another master link? Two master links on the chain. Better to just buy a new chain if I can find one? Thanks Mike

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:20 pm

New is always better!! I'd hesitate to put in a second master link, that is always the weak spot in the chain. One problem is finding the right one for your chain (they may be different pin size or link thickness depending on manufacturer.) New chains are available on Ebay, but you need to be aware some are endless chains and others have riveted master links (no clip.) I'm not sure what you can get from Honda.
63 CA78

conbs
honda305.com Member

Cam chain

Post by conbs » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:24 am

If you are using a cam chain with a master link, you either have to have the link that goes with the chain or, LM says with the EK brand in the red and yellow box and RK brand in red and white box a Honda master link will fit those chains. 219 chain 94 links

cbxmountainman
honda305.com Member

RE: rebuilding CL77 Engine

Post by cbxmountainman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks for all the good info as I have to do the exact same thing on mine soon as I round up all the parts. Got a pair of NOS of first over pistons, rings ,pins, clips. As funds permit, the rest will be rounded up. Got a guy who will bore the cylinders for $100.00 and now need to find someone to do the valves. Loud Mouse, how much? Thanks. Being retired and on a fixed income, this is a major undertaking $$$ for me as I have to allocate funds for other things first.
cbxman@nc.net

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:20 am

C'mon Charlie. Give us a clue as to your location. City & State?

Hope you're well, btw.

linmictil
honda305.com Member

basement bike

Post by linmictil » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:07 am

Waitng for parts to arrive.. Got everything orderd that I think I will need to get the engine back together again. Got an appointment to have the cylinders bored . Spent the day yesterday cleaning the drive chain . 45 year old dirt and grease is hard to get off. I soaked the chain in "Gunk" occasionally brushing it to loosen the crud. I finally had to use a small pick on each link to get the crap off. More soaking more brushing and it finally started to clean up. Final soaking of WD-40 and it was almost shining again. Wiped it down and set it in a pan and oiled it up.. Should be good to go. Next -the fenders are coming off to be repainted. Slowly getting there---------- mike

linmictil
honda305.com Member

basement bike

Post by linmictil » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:07 am

I got the valve head back from LOUDMOUTH and it looked brand new. When I took the cylinder head into be bored I asked that they bead blast it also. I had cleaned it up but nothing like the valve head. Couldn't go around with a two toned engine! Been painting parts and waiting for the cylinder head to be done. Should be today or tomorrow. Expensive compared to the asking price in some of the posts here but Hey-- at least I am getting it done. Little apprehensive about the cam chain . No clip on master link but I'll give it a try anyway. I hope not to give me a black eye but here is a before picture in the basement.
Attachments
before
before

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home