Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Beginning Restoration

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:04 am

Good info Tom. ...............lm
Hoosier Tom wrote:Honda offered candy blue or candy burnt orange tanks and matching side covers in 1967. Bill Silver's book lists this as starting with frame CL77-1056084. Bill's book also states the chrome fenders started with frame CL77-1056274. I've had a few candy CL77s and all mine came with chrome fenders and black frame.

HT

Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Post by Rizingson » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:50 am

HondaPaul wrote:One thing that has been bothering me for a while is whether or not the sheet metal has been repainted. I was under the impression that the CLs came Silver with either black or red frames. But while reading different threads on this site, I have heard mention of a blue option. Not sure if this included both the frame and/or the sheet metal. Can someone shed some light on this for me? I have tried to research but have not yet found anything definitive. If it is a stock color, does anyone have a paint code. I could use the paint code for silver as well if someone has it handy.

Thanks, Paul
I have a CL175 that was painted to match the original Candy Orange for '68.
For anybody that's interested. The paint is House of Kolor: UK08 (tangerine) over FBC12 (fine zenith gold) and then cleared. I believe it is as close a match as possible
Build thread is on this forum under "Honda other twins" - 1968 CL175 "Sloper" restoration.

HondaPaul
honda305.com Member

Post by HondaPaul » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:01 am

Tom, thanks for the info and hope I didn't put you thru too much trouble. Here I sit on the couch with nothing but time and Bill's manuals out in the garage. I didn't even think of them! I had previously paged thru but missed the paint/chrome fenders section. So thanks again! But I did enjoy the two "candy" examples you provided, the burnt orange version is a new one for me.

So, my VIN is CL77-1045867, earlier than both candy paint and chrome fenders. I am going to assume that the bike has been repainted with the original scheme being silver on black. This makes sense as the paint on the bike has seemed to delaminate in places (see neck area of gas tank in pic), which I believe is uncommon for factory paint (save 1980's Chevrolets).

BTW, how are you able to post pics of reasonable size? I hate how the pics I post expand the page bigger than the screen.

Thanks, Paul

Image20150525_084230 by Paul , on Flickr
Last edited by HondaPaul on Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HondaPaul
honda305.com Member

Post by HondaPaul » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:12 am

Rizingson wrote:

I have a CL175 that was painted to match the original Candy Orange for '68.
For anybody that's interested. The paint is House of Kolor: UK08 (tangerine) over FBC12 (fine zenith gold) and then cleared. I believe it is as close a match as possible
Build thread is on this forum under "Honda other twins" - 1968 CL175 "Sloper" restoration.[/quote]

Hi Rizingson,

I'm sure somebody can use this info, unfortunately for me, I have limited my choices to either blue or silver and it looks like it will be silver. I do like the burnt orange on Tom's bike (better than the blue), however it is not original to my bike, plus I think the orange painted fenders in lieu of the chrome fenders might be over kill and ruin the look. Thanks for the info tho and I will try to check out your build thread, I'm sure I learn something! :)

Paul

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:06 pm

HondaPaul wrote:Tom, thanks for the info and hope I didn't put you thru too much trouble.... But I did enjoy the two "candy" examples you provided, the burnt orange version is a new one for me......So, my VIN is CL77-1045867, earlier than both candy paint and chrome fenders.Thanks, Paul
Paul, no trouble, happy to provide help. Those photos were from 2 of my best candy bikes. I have trouble posting photos at times because the file size is too big. I don't have an answer for you on resizing your photos.

HT

revlover
honda305.com Member

Post by revlover » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:55 am

Would someone please tell me what the chrome tab with the slot is that is on the top left of the yoke in Paul's picture. I have seen them on a few bikes, but I never knew what it's for.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:04 am

It was to have the nylon helmet strap pass thru.
Store helmet while away from bike! "You Bet"!
Not a part on the bike when shipped but usually added by dealer. .....................lm
revlover wrote:Would someone please tell me what the chrome tab with the slot is that is on the top left of the yoke in Paul's picture. I have seen them on a few bikes, but I never knew what it's for.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home