□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Should this go to the scrap yard?

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

Post by rustywrench » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:01 pm

There are many variables here. To get it back to road worthy depends on whether you do the work yourself or hire it out. Then there is your state and registering with or without a title. That can be a nightmare. So I would expect to be able to do all the work myself and get it running at least and roadworthy for about $350 to $500 depending on how picky ya got as for looks. I know I could get it on the trail rust and all for a couple hundred. For a full original resto, done yourself,at least a couple grand or to hire it out, excess of $3000. Ebay as is; start it out at $150and see where it goes. A title will fetch ya a bit more. These are my opinions and nothing more, Hope it helps ya,,,, Rusty

bonjour
honda305.com Member

Post by bonjour » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:31 pm

To restore this to original is to much work, and to expensive, the basis is just to incomplete, damaged or worn to do so.

Personally, I would get the bike apart, a quick clean to all the parts, get the motor out, give it a good cleaning, probably replace the gaskets, seals, and clutch plated.

Don't do any fancy with it, just clean it, and replace a few gaskets and seals here and their.

After that, paint the stuff with some DIY paint to make it just look good, put everything together, ride the bike, and then decide if your gonna give it a title.

This will cost you some time to do, and indeed, probably a couple of hunderd bucks.

But it will be great fun, and if the end result doesn't satisfy you, you can sell it, probably with no loss at all because the bike is now a runner, the only thing you lost would be your time to fix it up.

But hell, when the bike rides, you won't sell it :)

But forget about a complete restoration for this one, to much work, time, and money to do so, not worth it.
Just give this one a quick fix and a quick paint, it will be perfect :)
'Of course I've already taken a very modest position on the monetary system, I do take the position that we should just end the Fed.' - Ron Paul

abert51
honda305.com Member

sentiment

Post by abert51 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:12 am

sentimental value knows no monitary bounds. Is it you sentiment or your dad's? Would he even ride it again, that's the crux of you issue. A lot of time and money to get there and it may sit in the garage/barn again. If you are a rider then it cuts between the two of you. I know I'd be proud to ride my old man's bike and then hand it down to my son. If that is not in your deck of cards then sell it! It has value on flea Bay. Do something nice for pop with the cash. Don't be hasty eiher. Great advice on this site!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home