Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Newbie with a new toy

rmcrump1
honda305.com Member

Newbie with a new toy

Post by rmcrump1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:44 pm

Hello all. Been lurking for a while on this site trying to learn a few things while looking for a CL77. Finally found one in reasonably good condition, close to home and not too expensive. Based upon the frame number, CL771013332, it seems to be a 65 model even though the early paperwork lists it as a 66.
My plan is to clean it up and get it running so I can ride while I tinker with it. After reading the posts here, I have ordered both of Bill Silver's books. I have also ordered CB77 carb kits based upon the recommendation by LM. Once I have those in hand I will change the oil and clean the filter, replace the plugs, clean the carbs and install the new jets, check timing and valve clearance and try to get it running. Will also clean and POR the tank. After that, I will repair or replace anything that gets my attention as I go along. One of the first things will be a new paint job for the tank, fenders and sidecovers, in the correct silver rather than the current grey.
I do have a one question now. While in the process of cleaning up the bike, I noticed that there is a lot of play or movement in the rear brake pedal/shaft. Should there be a bushing of some kind where the shaft exits the frame on the pedal side?
Thanks to you all.
Richard
Honda1 by rmcrump1, on Flickr
Richard

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:20 pm

Richard, nice find! It is indeed a 65. No bushing in the brake shaft. I personally only use the float needle and seat, and the bowl gasket from those kits. Re-use the old jets, and especially the needle if they're in good condition.

Davo
davomoto
64 CB77
63-7 CB77 Cafe'
67 CL77
64 CL72
66 CL77 big bore flat tracker
Many others!

JJJake
honda305.com Member

Post by JJJake » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:07 pm

I don't have any technical advice to offer, but I do have a compliment. That is a beautiful bike! Good luck on getting it running:)
1966 Honda CB77
1970 Suzuki TC90

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home