Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New guy north of the border

maggiemae
honda305.com Member

New guy north of the border

Post by maggiemae » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:03 pm

Hi<br /><br />I just got a 1967 CL77 and have a question or two. It does not have the shimmy damper from the frame to the steering head does anyone have one for sale and does it need one for road use only ? Is anyone willing to sell me a good photocopy of the owners manual or better still a copy. There was one on E-bay recently but it went for well over $120 and unfortunately I did not contact the new owner to see if he would be willing to sell me a copy of it. <br /><br />The bike came from Wisconsin and was a daily driver until a couple of years ago. The previous owner put a new battery in it before he shipped it to me and once I put in some gas it fired right up on the second or third kick. I note it is leaking a bit of oil around the cylinder base but I understand that is common on these bikes. I may rebuild the engine this winter depending on the compression etc but so far in the 9 miles I have logged everything seems fine.

kl
honda305.com Member

Re: New guy north of the border

Post by kl » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:11 am

hi there from u.k.noticed you had no replies before i put my question on so here goes.i have not even ridden my cl as i need to restore first.i reckon the damper was of limited use.if it was 'heavy duty'i.e for off road then the bike would have been a pig slow steering street bike.how many 70,s/80,s m/x'ers had dampers?none i think.the cl steering geometry is not radical.i think it was on there with really thin oil to give minimal damping.so in my opinion get out on yer bike and enjoy.on the owner manual do you mean the little one that came with the bike or a shop manual?the little one is a pig to source(but i have one i could mickey mouse copy for you)the shop manual comes up on e-bay,try the cl72 manual also-they are basically the same beast.
keith laycock

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home