Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

What have I done?

ole
honda305.com Member

What have I done?

Post by ole » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:42 pm

I bought a 1965 CB77 today. Serial # 107xxx. 4206 miles. I found this forum about a month ago from a link on ADVrider. You guys are a fountain of knowledge. I would very much like to know what is stock and what is missing on my bike.

Fenders and side covers are chrome. Should they not be silver?
Mirrors should they be square or round?
Should the bars be flat and not have a big rise like mine do?
Any ideas on how to remove all the pitting on the chrome? Kerosene? Steel wool?
Throttle cable is stuck how to loosen it? Or just buy new? Brakes and clutch cables are OK.
Should I buy cheap China dirt bike carbs or rebuild mine? I have done it before
Where can I buy a pair of air filters?
Compression is 150 and 155. Good enough?

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:08 pm

Welcome. Your bike is actually a 1964. Back then not uncommon for a Honda to be titled in the year it was sold. Fenders, sidecovers, tail light bracket and valley pan cover should be painted silver. Headlight bucket should be red. Handlebars should be flat and you have aftermarket mufflers. You have the replacement metal tank badges, (which incidentally are on the wrong sides- switch them and they will be oriented correctly), originals were a plastic/resin. The right sidecover should have a plastic latch nob as the left side does. I don't see the battery clamp pictured, maybe you have it elsewhere. Mirrors are rectangular. Luggage rack not strock. Carbs are easy enough to rebuild. Repo air filters are available. Here is one place that has them http://classichondarestoration.com

HT

ole
honda305.com Member

Post by ole » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:53 pm

Thanks for that link Tom! Air filters and boots are on sale as we speak. I think that place is going to get a good chunk of my money. I knew the mufflers were not stock the seller told me so. I do have the battery clamp just wasn't in the pic. Should I be concerned the numbers don't match?
Left side under triple stamped #CB77 107580
Left side of engine stamped #CB77E-107599

So all those silver parts somebody chromed them through the years? My valley cover is chrome also.

jugger18
honda305.com Member

Post by jugger18 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:11 pm

Mufflers are also aftermarket. I am in oregon and rebuilding a 65 that is in way worse shape than yours.

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:30 pm

Plans to restore? I would tempted to change out the bars and keep it as is. Maybe switch out the mufflers also. Just take care of things like the cables, tires, filters, carbs, igniton, etc and start riding it.

ahenthus
honda305.com Member

Post by ahenthus » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:15 pm

ole wrote: Should I be concerned the numbers don't match?
The match is fine. Honda did not match engine and frame numbers at that time other than coincidentally. My CL77 is only one number off and that is probably considered relatively rare.
66 CL77

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:56 am

ole wrote:Thanks for that link Tom! So all those silver parts somebody chromed them through the years? My valley cover is chrome also.
You're welcome. Some folks wanted their bikes to be different than everyone else's so they chromed different parts. Some even painted their bikes different colors. You have a clean, good looking bike. Enjoy it and have fun.

HT

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home