Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Metal rescue!!

rrtccp
honda305.com Member

Metal rescue!!

Post by rrtccp » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:01 am

Hello folks i posted a question the other day about anybody tried metal rescue?? the you tube video looks great but the product didn't work very well ( and it's $35/4 liters), the vinegar and hot water actually worked better..so now i'm trying por-15,, the whole kit ... i would have posted before and after pics but camera was not taking very good shots of the inside of the tank.. i have some but there not great..hopefully the por is better... hopefully you can see the before shots..np
Attachments
000_0059.JPG
000_0063.JPG

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:48 am

looks crusty :-)

I have the POR-15 system also based on reviews on this board and others. I haven't done it yet as I haven't started my build but am interested to see how yours comes out. Be sure to post pics and results.

Tango911
honda305.com Member

Post by Tango911 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:24 pm

the metal rescue works but you have to keep it submerged for along time, like 8 or more hours, then rinse it out well, i still used bb's in mine and shook it around to get the thicker goo off.
65 Sears Puch 250
69 Dream 305
74 Kawi H1
78 CB750 SS

cb77envy
honda305.com Member

metal rescue

Post by cb77envy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:52 am

how long did you leave the metal rescue in the tank? I think you have to let it soak for a long time. I agree with trying to get most of the heavy rust out first with ball bearings or nut s and bolts. If you had enough of metal rescue you should just let the entire tank submerge in it. it's supposed to be safe for paint.

rrtccp
honda305.com Member

tank saga

Post by rrtccp » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:44 pm

Well when i got the bike it had half a tank of varnish/gas/sludge in it.. i removed that ,, then about a gallon of white vinnegar and a gallon of steamy hot water , let that soak for about 24 hrs.. the amount of crap/rust/flakes that came out filled a pizza box( i ate the pizza first)... and the metal looked absolutely great compared to prev.. then i wanted to get as close to perfect as possible , so i spent $75 for 2 gallons of metal rescue( only because the paint was so good and metal rescue is safe for paint).. poured that in and left it for 24 hours, and the tank looked no different than with the vinnagar alone,,, i hoped for better so now i put another gallon of vinnegar and water while i searched for the por 15 product.. tht has been in for 3 days,, this weekend i will drain and flush that ( i'll take pics) and finally do the por 15 ( which was $55) if the $125 or so that i haave spent works well and saves the paint the tank should be fine for a long long time... when i do my dream next ,, i may give the metal res. another chance and see how it does, but i'll leave it in longer and that tank is no where near as bad... ttfn...hohoh.. cheers from the great white north... nick

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:02 pm

might want to throw some nuts and bolts in there and shake it up for a while to help the process. Maybe get a friend with a cement mixer and strap the tank to the inside :-)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home