Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1968 CB77 - Just picked up and lots of questions

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

1968 CB77 - Just picked up and lots of questions

Post by cyclon36 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:59 pm

Hey All,

Ok, so it all started with me watching Serpico about a month ago. The second I saw Pacino ride off with the CB77 I had to figure out what bike it was and if there were any for sale :D

Fortunately, I happened upon an awesome deal two states away. I made a day trip to pick up this resto job for $800. First the pics, then I'll go on with a bit of commentary and a few questions...

Ok, now for the details. I'm supposedly the third owner. The original owner bought it in Mass and it was then sent to Connecticut in 74. It was held on to by the same owner until he died recently and his friend ended up selling it to me. The bike looks black/grey in the pics but you can see the red frame and bodywork underneath the flaking paint I even see a bit of the tank that use to be a red metallic. However, the '74 title says black/grey so I assume it was repainted early on. I've tried to do my homework on this bike as much as I could but there are a number of questions that seem to puzzle me so here goes. I apologize if they've been covered in length previously, I wasn't able to dig them up with the search.

1. I'm guessing the speedo is from a different model bike (CB450 maybe?). Are there any calibration issues when using one like that or does it all work the same?

2. Blinkers were retrofitted to the bike. The owner used the dimmer switch on the left handlebar as the blinker activator. I'm not sure what the original function of the switch was though. I didn't even know it was altered until I did some research on blinker upgrades on the forum. So, what does the dimmer do?

3. Most of the pics I see of the headlight bucket have a big switch on them. Mine has a blue light and a big red light that looks aftermarket. The blue light is suppose to signify neutral but rarely works correctly. The red light blinks when the blinkers are on (kind of stupid IMO as you can clearly see the blinkers working). I don't know what the previous owner was trying to accomplish with that but my main concern is that I'm missing something that is suppose to be there. I heard that it's the on/off switch for the lights but my right handlebar has a three position switch (off/low/high) for the lights.

4. The tires are probably still from the 70's and are all cracking. I want to upgrade to a more streetable tire rather than sticking with the vintage look but am having tough time finding front and rear in suitable sizes. I've read tons of posts on this forum that have helped for the most part but I can't seem to find one answer...can I use two front tires or do I have to find one that's angled for the rear? I see other CB owners buying two fronts but I'm not sure how that handles or if it's better to search around and try to find a front and rear. Most of the tires available are fronts only and the ones that do have rears don't have a front size to match.

5. I had a 72 datsun 620 truck and relied on the Taiwan parts market for a lot of the hard to find pieces. I know their not as good as OE, japan or US parts but how do items like the exhaust compare? My left side is rusted out on the header and I see header sets on ebay for $50 a pair. I'll probably end up wrapping them with exhaust wrap for the cafe look so I'm not so concerned about those as I am the mufflers. Is it worth it for a decent replacement? Any good sources here for alternate exhaust options (i.e. megaphone).

That is all for now :D Thanks in advance for any help. This looks to be a great forum for info.

For those interested, I'll probably just fix it up enough so it's safe to ride for the summer and do a full restoration this winter. I'll more than likely go full black except for the chrome or black and a very dark metallic grey. I'm still up in the air on that.

-Joe

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:57 pm

Oh, and as a follow up, I have an electric start on the bike. Is that original to the 68? I read on the title page of the forum that it was an available upgrade.

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

nice find

Post by rustywrench » Sun May 16, 2010 7:38 pm

OK joe, Here we go.
First, welcome to our nut house. You came to the right place.
I don't have a bunch of experience on the cb but it would appear you have a pretty nice find there. I can say that cb's had electric start all the way through their years. You mistook that front page electronic ignition for start. An aftermarket product would eliminate the points ignition for an electronic one.
I believe the red light used to be a light switch and the one on the right handlebar would be an PO add on and the dimmer switch was on the left. Unless the cb's were that much different. If I'm right you have some work ahead of you to make it right. Hope this helps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,RW

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Sun May 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Speedo is correct for the later bikes. 67 was the last year of production, though they were often titled as the year they were sold. Tires are a huge subjest, do your homework, and figure out what will be best for you. Left bar switch was origionally high / low for headlight. Pics of bar switches would be helpful.
davomoto
64 CB77
63-7 CB77 Cafe'
67 CL77
64 CL72
66 CL77 big bore flat tracker
Many others!

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:01 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I'll get some pics of the switch assemblies so you can check them out. That's good to know about the speedo.

I'm not too concerned with taking it to 100% factory original. I'll probably end up filling both holes in the lamp housing and moving the neutral light to the center.

As for the tires, I'm looking at the Avon's or the Bridgestone BT45's which have a good bit of feedback on this board. If I went with either one, I'd have to get front tires for both front and rear so I'm concerned with cornering and stability. I wasn't able to find a rear profile tire in either of those. By that, I mean I can find good sizes for front and rear it's just that the tire is labeled as a front tire by the manufacturer.

I've also found good reviews and links for mufflers. This board is priceless so far.

For the moment, the bike starts on the first turn of the engine and runs like a champ aside from a bit of exhaust leak.

Oh, and I forgot to ask. Do the chains have self oilers? When I picked up the bike the guy mentioned the chain looked like it was freshly lubricated but didn't do it himself. The oil level seems fine so I hope it's not a leak somewhere. Crossing my fingers that its either self oiled or one of his sons did it before i showed up.

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

Post by rustywrench » Sun May 16, 2010 10:20 pm

I think no on the self oiler. RW

Loudo
honda305.com Member

Very custom

Post by Loudo » Mon May 17, 2010 6:39 pm

My CB77 had a chain self-oiler until I fixed the offending clutch pushrod oil seal. ;}

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home