Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

'67 CB77 X-country. any suggestions?

emacklin
honda305.com Member

'67 CB77 X-country. any suggestions?

Post by emacklin » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:23 pm

I've just purchased a '67 CB77 from a fellow in Maine.<br />Thing is:I live in California.<br /><br />I'll be flying out probably around March or April to pick up the bike, dust it off, and ride a bit of a zigzag route across the states. (Providing the snows melted off a fair amount by then!)<br /><br />While I've done one other long ride (2600 miles on a 200cc Vespa) I'm not very familiar with this bike, nor it's quirks.<br /><br />I'll be researching it as much as possible before I head out, but if anybody's got any good suggestions ro hints, I'd love to hear them.<br /><br />You can contact me directly at eclecticlens@hotmail.com<br /><br />Thanks a lot!<br /><br /> Eric

georGe
honda305.com Member

Re: '67 CB77 X-country. any suggestions?

Post by georGe » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:34 pm

Are ya just gonna ride it x-country sight unseen or do ya plan on doin some work before hand ? <br />Most of these bikes,and Ive seen alot, have been neglected or rigged it comes w/ the age. Like any other bike they have their quirks. Most are not road side fixes. <br />I would suggest buying Bill Silvers CD- rom to get a better overview of them before ya trek off.<br />Let us [me=georGe]know how things are goin w/ it .[/me]<br /><br />georGe

emacklin
honda305.com Member

Post by emacklin » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:21 am

Thanks georGe,<br /><br /> I'll look into picking up that CD. I'm hoping I can find a Haynes manual as well. <br /><br />My rough plans as of now are to fly out, spend 3-4 days in town looking the bike over, and making sure it's up to the challenge. I'm even thinking about trying to get my hands on an old rusted out engine, just to pull it apart and familiarize myself with the layout before I head out there. Also, that would give me a handful of spare parts to ride with. <br /><br />I'm really looking forward to this, even the roadside breakdowns. (as long as they aren't too dire!)<br /><br />If anyone can think of other reference or repair manuals that you'd recommend, I'd love to hear about it.<br /><br />Also if you've got a dead engine in the Los Angeles area, and you're looking to get it hauled off for cheap, I'm your man!<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /><br /> Eric<br />

georGe
honda305.com Member

Post by georGe » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:19 pm

There is no such thing as a dead engine and they aint cheap when ya find them ! Most of the parts ya need are missing or high priced items,theres not many of these lingering in the shed like there used to be in the '70's. The expendable parts are out there from limited sources plus Evil bay. They are quirky like any other bike so if ya dont pay attention itll bite ya in the ass at the least possible moment. If ya buy Bill Silvers cd it will shed some light on what yer in fer . <br />Keep us posted !<br /><br />georGe

emacklin
honda305.com Member

Post by emacklin » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:51 pm

Less Than a Week To Go...<br /><br />On June 20th I'll be flying out to Portland, Maine to pick up the bike, and ride it back to Los Angeles, Ca.<br /><br />I'm incredibly unprepared. This will turn out to be an interesting adventure. <br /><br />Possibly the stupidest idea I've had, yet.<br />Which, I suppose, is good enough reason to do it as any...<br /><br />Anyone know where I could pick up a conversion kit to switch out the points with an electric ignition? I've been warned.<br /><br />Oh, and I'm now picking up a passenger in Minnesota. <br /><br />But she's pretty light, so it should be okay.<br /><br />Right?...

ryan_siefrin
honda305.com Member

Post by ryan_siefrin » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:07 am

wow, that will be a hell of an adventure, what's the bikes condition right now?
Ryan Siefring

1965 Honda CA77 Dream
1996 Honda CBR 900 RR

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:09 am

Very cool trip; wish I could come with.<br /><br />Make sure you find internet access wherever you go and be sure to be signed up on the h305 mailing list as well as the vjmc mailing list (links on honda305.com). Members are throughout the country (&amp; the world) and the h305 list has a few hundred in the USA. You'll need them.<br /><br />As for the electronic ignition kits, we have a few kits left in stock: honda305.com/marketplace<br /><br />When you go, take photos and keep a log. I'll try to find a spot for it on honda305; it should be a great read...<br /><br />Also, make sure you have a brand new clutch cable spare. I had one go bad 500 miles from home, in the middle of Quebeck, a few years ago. I wrote about it on honda305.com.<br /><br />Also, not a bad idea to have a pair of freshly (and professionally) rebuilt carbs. I'd throw those in before I took the x-country ride. Sinking floats and sticking slides are a common failure. A new throttle cable is also a great idea.<br /><br />New brake cables, especially front!<br /><br />Also, make sure you have a multimeter and know how to use it. Your charging system is likely another potential for worry. A new (properly tested) rectifier is another spare you should have.<br /><br />Along with that, make sure your toolkit includes a soldering iron, solder and flux. You might have a few corroded bullet connections that will rob the charging system of valuable power.<br /><br />Invest in good AM rear shocks and install them before you go. The stock ones, even if still good, are guaranteed to NOT survive (for long), especially with two up.<br /><br />Final thoughts: New battery, (4) NGK D8HA, spare light bulbs, spare inner tubes, inflation kit, trickle charger, rain suits, a cell phone and a good Credit Card.<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />MS

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home