deaddog
honda305.com Member

Survey on riding performance

Post by deaddog » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:08 pm

Bike: 1961 CB77
Top speed: 91 MPH
Best cruise speed: 60MPH

Riding characteristic:

Pulls hard in first, second, third, I can open throttle wide open in these gears and it does not stutter and will rev. hard to 9,000RPM.

Forth gear: If I open throttle all the way it starts missing and sputters like it is running out of fuel. If I crack throttle half way and then increase it gradually it will start to get on rev’s.

Note: Transmission has had the gears Xed

I would greatly appreciate feed back on how other CB77 are performing

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:19 pm

DD, I am wondering what sprocket sizes your running. Doubt if that is the problem but if you have say a 30 in back and a 15 or16 in front it could be strugling. I would rather think its a fuel issue. I think about the performance issues alot working on the family drag car. I don't mean to say I have all the answers but I've been involved in that alot lately. In high gear throttle wide open it is demanding all the fuel the system permits. I would think it's just not getting enough fuel. Be it main jet size or a restriction in the fuel delivery system. I can't see it as a timing issue or electrical at all. If it was those it would also act up in the lower gears too. My best guess. I imagine others will have some ideas to. Good Luck and I want to hear what you finally come up with. Steve Greer

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Survey on riding performance

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:07 am

The float levels are?. ......lm
deaddog wrote:Bike: 1961 CB77
Top speed: 91 MPH
Best cruise speed: 60MPH

Riding characteristic:

Pulls hard in first, second, third, I can open throttle wide open in these gears and it does not stutter and will rev. hard to 9,000RPM.

Forth gear: If I open throttle all the way it starts missing and sputters like it is running out of fuel. If I crack throttle half way and then increase it gradually it will start to get on rev’s.

Note: Transmission has had the gears Xed

I would greatly appreciate feed back on how other CB77 are performing

deaddog
honda305.com Member

Post by deaddog » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:40 am

deaddog wrote:

Well this is a first for me answering a quote from me.

I have been dealing with this performance issue for a long time and I have finally solved it. Thought I might share what I found just in case you have a similar issue.
During my last service I removed the carb. Bowls to drain bottom and check float operation. I noticed the left float was sticking very slightly in the up position and not every time. After closer look noticed the side of the float just barely rubbing the carb. Body. All I did was squeeze the float together a little closer. Put her together, and have not had that performance problem since.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:59 am

Sept 10 I stated "The float levels are"?. ......lm

deaddog wrote:
deaddog wrote:

Well this is a first for me answering a quote from me.

I have been dealing with this performance issue for a long time and I have finally solved it. Thought I might share what I found just in case you have a similar issue.
During my last service I removed the carb. Bowls to drain bottom and check float operation. I noticed the left float was sticking very slightly in the up position and not every time. After closer look noticed the side of the float just barely rubbing the carb. Body. All I did was squeeze the float together a little closer. Put her together, and have not had that performance problem since.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

deaddog
honda305.com Member

Post by deaddog » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:19 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Sept 10 I stated "The float levels are"?. ......lm
Yes you did. The thing is that I checked the float levels agian at that time buy pulling the carb's and turing them upside down. I have had the bowls off several times since then (do that every service). It was a stroke of luck I found it this last service, like I said the float would not always hang up and when it did just barely. The preformance issue was on and off and not consistant, but since this discovery it has not happened.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:46 pm

What your problem told me you had a float problem and I only supposed ya would make sure the gasket didn't cause one to stay up. A good idea for everyone with one of these bikes is to squeeze the float toward the middle and look to be sure there is abundant clearance between the float and gasket. The reason is the gasket swells a bit when today's gas is on it for a while which can catch the float and hold it up. Good to know ya can enjoy the bike now. ...............lm

deaddog wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Sept 10 I stated "The float levels are"?. ......lm
Yes you did. The thing is that I checked the float levels agian at that time buy pulling the carb's and turing them upside down. I have had the bowls off several times since then (do that every service). It was a stroke of luck I found it this last service, like I said the float would not always hang up and when it did just barely. The preformance issue was on and off and not consistant, but since this discovery it has not happened.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home