Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Headlight/running light question

lifewithoutparole
honda305.com Member

Headlights On in Florida

Post by lifewithoutparole » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:52 pm

My 66 CL77 does fine with the headlight/tail light on all the time. I replaced the rectifier with a solid state one from a guy who has a site in Oregon and replaced the tail light with an LED one but that is the extent of mods. Here in Florida you need the headlight on all the time. I have been pulled over twice in the last 5 years when I forgot to turn the lights on, once on my CB175 and once on my Suzuki X6 (both gone now). My 67 S90 had some issues originally and I changed the rectifier out but ultimately found out that one of the lighting coils on the stator was shot. I picked up a good used one of ebay and that fixed it. I check my batteries regularly but don't have charging problems even when riding in traffic where the Revs aren't up for awhile. Mostly 30-45 MPH keeps them happy. Have Fun!

Super90guy
honda305.com Member

Lights & charging system...

Post by Super90guy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Having the good fortune to reside proximate to MrHonda Bill Silver, who was the wrench & parts supplier for my blue '66 CB77 resto, I recall some early charging systems were pretty potent & could cause failure of some E-parts if... the lights were not run all the time. As to these bikes not being capable of longer runs due to generating insufficient electrical output, that is typically caused by a faulty stator or related parts. I had a CL72 that constantly ran the battery down. Stator replacement totally cured the problem. I am not aware of any CB/CL 72/77 that will run down a battery if the system is working properly. Realize you're dealing with a charging / electrical system that goes back to my high school years. Ergo, the system must be checked thoroughly to insure it is functioning properly... or it will cause problems with batteries, rectifiers, bulbs, etc.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home