□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

cafe racer tips

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:01 pm

CC, I hear ya about these suedo cafe' bikes! There's a couple on Craigslist every day with clubman bars and cut fenders, poorly cut I might add, being sold as cafe' racers. The easiest way to more power is with a big bore kit. There's no replacement for displacement! The 3mm over pistons come up on Ebay from time to time, or try posting in the parts wanted section. The 3mm pistons will bore onto the stock liners. If you have deep pockets, there's a guy on ebay selling some really sweet hop up parts, and megacycle still grinds cams for these bikes. Thing is, you're still gonna have a slow old bike compared to anything new. here's a link for ebay hop up parts.

davomoto

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0300525041

rbaselt
honda305.com Member

Post by rbaselt » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:22 pm

Other possibilities re engine mods: swap 2nd and 3rd gears to improve ratios, mill head to increase compression ratio, port and polish head to improve flow, use heavy-duty valve springs to raise redline, heavy-duty clutch plates and springs to prevent slippage, increase main jet size when removing baffles or replacing stock mufflers. Some of these will decrease engine life, of course.
--Randall

cafe_crazer
honda305.com Member

Post by cafe_crazer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:50 pm

sounds like i'm in for some fun. thanks guys. unrelated to the performance aspect i am hovering around the idea of black chrome for the engine, fenders, wheels, and tank piece. my main concern is the engine heat effecting it. is it something worth doing?

bill440cars
honda305.com Member

Post by bill440cars » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:26 am

Like to know if there are any updates to be had on this? I am in the mockup stage with a "Sort of a Cafed" myself. Can't do pictures yet, but I'm working on it. Not much progress on mine though, due to recent events in my life, between "Booting my (so-called) brother and his wife (5th) ouit of my Dad's life (he's 84) and my Wife passing away on the 1st of July this year. Trying to work through all of that and need to get some ideas on the "Cafe" thing myself. Hope I haven't "HiJacked" this too much, just getting into doing things with MY Super Hawk and enjoying seeing what's going on here.

Take care, Bill

CliffC
honda305.com Member

Post by CliffC » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:06 pm

Bill, Sorry to hear of your wifes passing and your other troubles, hope everything gets better for you. CliffC

bill440cars
honda305.com Member

Post by bill440cars » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:58 am

CliffC wrote:Bill, Sorry to hear of your wifes passing and your other troubles, hope everything gets better for you. CliffC

Thank you for THAT Cliff, I'm working on getting things taken care of and trying to get on with it and all. Lost several family members over the years, but none shook me like this. Trying to do things that will keep my mind preoccupied more and that is why I'm trying to get something going with my Super Hawk Cafe build and am looking for ideas and inspirational shots of bikes. My Love for my Wife, my Daughter and bikes is what kept me going and now it's my Daughter and Bikes.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home