□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

'67 CB77 X-country. any suggestions?

emacklin
honda305.com Member

Re: '67 CB77 X-country. any suggestions?

Post by emacklin » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:29 am

Mike,<br /><br />I very much appreciate all the tips, but unfortunately, I'm a little too close to my departure date to pick up all the spares I'll likely need.<br /><br />Also, this being a bit of a slow year for me, This particular trip will be on a very tight budget. Had to get a new credit card, just for this little journey!<br /><br />Last year, Ed A. and Mike K. took a couple of CB77's cross country from Torrance, Ca to Virginia, and then, I believe back in to TN(?) They had posted their trip while riding, and have been kind enough to share some advice with me.<br />I even had a chance to sit down to lunch with Ed last week. Good guy.<br /><br />The bikes in fair condition. There's a few problems, but we'll see how it all goes. I'll be rebuilding the carbs when I get out there, and have a new set of cables shipped to Minnesota,as the current cables were for some chopper bars, and it now has clubmen bars. (Thanks Ed)<br /><br />Overall, this'll be a seat of the pants kinda thing. <br /><br />Thinking about picking up a new AM rectifier as well.<br /><br />Of course, now I'm worried about the shocks...<br /><br />Two days to go, and my nervousness is starting to fizzle.<br /><br />It'll be a great ride, and whatever goes wrong, well, I'll figure something out.<br /><br />PS- both riders are professional photographers. Hopefully we'll come back with some great images to post up on honda305.com!<br /><br />Thanks again!<br /><br /> .e

emacklin
honda305.com Member

Re: '67 CB77 X-country. any suggestions?

Post by emacklin » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:17 pm

Funny story....<br /><br />While I don't have much time to write the whole story out right now, I just thought I'd offer up an update.<br /><br />Got into Maine at 9am on June 21st. Kind of a strange feeling to land in an airport on the other side of the country with no return ticket...<br /><br /> That night Matthew (The previous owner, and a great guy) and I rebuilt the carbs, and did a bit of a tune up on the bike. She was just what I was hoping for. A little beat up, but charming as hell. Far as I know she's a '66, but I'll have to reference the engine and body numbers to know for sure. (There were no stamps on the wiring harness that I noticed.<br /><br />Spent a couple days in Portland, Maine. (Great city by the way, I'd definately recommend visiting there. Especially on a Superhawk)<br /><br />Long story short:<br /> <br /> When I mapped out the trip, I used straight lines. Not so smart. There are no straight roads. So while I covered 200-250 miles per day, I didn't go quite as far as I'd planned.<br /><br />Riding through the northeast is fantastic. Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire... All gorgeous riding country. You'll never find nicer people than northeast bikers. I met a lot of people, and had a great time.<br /><br />Engine problems put me in a bike shop in Auburn, New York. Ended up camping behind the shop for a couple nights.<br /><br />In Sandusky Ohio, I sat in a Tractor Supply Depot parking lot for about an hour, replacing about a dozen bolts that the kids at the shop forgot to put back in. My tailpipes, and chaingaurd didn't have a single bolt in them! They also left a bolt out of my fender, which caused the fender to bend and rub/rip the left side of my rear tire. It took a long time to chisel the sheet metal, with a screwdriver, enough to fit that bolt in...<br /><br />Loose screws behind the clutch plates put me behind a Honda bike shop in Indianapolis for another night (My 27th birthday, by the way) If you're ever in Valparaiso, Indiana, stop by B&amp;E Honda. Vic, Rocky, and Lou are the best guys to get stuck with for a day or two, and they helped me out much much more than I expected!<br /><br />So much happened on the road, I feel like I'll need to write a book just to touch on all of it!<br /><br />5 miles south of Hixton, Wisconsin, My Superhawk finally had enough of me. Blew the right piston on hwy 94, while trying to make up time.<br />Luckily, I was just a couple hours outside of Minneapolis, where my next stop and a good friend lives.<br />She came out with her pick up and trucked me and the bike back into MPLS.<br />Tore the engine apart in her garage, and found a hole the size of a dime in the top of the piston.<br />Parts were slow coming in, and Ohio Cycle didn't feel like returning my phone calls for some reason...<br /><br />Ended up spending 3 weeks in Minneapolis. Made a lot of new good friends, and even worked in the cities enough to pay for the trip!<br /><br />Unfortunately, I had to fly back here to Los Angeles for a few weeks of work. So she's still sitting in the midwest, in about 2 hundred pieces in my friends garage.<br /><br />Here's the fun part: I'm flying BACK to Minneapolis on August 22nd, to rebuild the engine (top end only) and finish the ride.<br /><br />She'll have new pistons, new clutch plates, new cables, and a handful of other parts I've been picking up on ebay, and sending out there.<br /><br />Basically, just about every little plan I made was scratched once I got the bike on the road.<br /><br />Didn't take as many pictures (or as good) as I'd liked, but it's tough to get into teh photography when you're sunburned, windburned, tired, lost, and all your knuckles are busted from roadside repairs!<br /><br />I'll pull something together that details the trip a little more, when I get the chance. But for now, It's still not over, and I have a better idea of what to expect for the next 2500 miles!<br /><br />9 days, 1600 miles, 3 bike shops, and a lot of fun on a 1966 Honda Superhawk. <br /><br />(Check the 305 engine forums, I'll have a handful of questions for getting this bike back on the road, and I can use all the help I can get!)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home