Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:35 am

Just wanted to give everyone an update.

Everything is working really well on the bike right now. It's just a process of refinement at this point, which is an art all it's own and an opportunity for me to get to know my bike really well.

Transmission: The new transmission from Fast Fred is working wonderfully. The x'd gears are taking some getting used to. Jury is till a bit out as to which way I prefer, not that either is unpleasant. I'm also learning where it likes to shift at. Q: Where do you guys like to shift in the RPM range, and what RPM do you like to cruise at?

Carbs: The bike is running a little rich right now. I'm gonna try dropping the main jets down a bit and hot plugging. Here's another question, I've read that if the bike starts without any choke, you're running too rich. Now is this in relation to the fuel/air screw at idle or the size of the idle jet? Does this rule still apply on a hot day (70°-90°)? Getting warm here in CA.

Oil: I tried a 10-40 synthetic blend out. It sure finds any possible leaks fast. I have small drip coming from the very bottom/middle of my left crankcase. Even with a brand new gasket, clean surface, and all the bolts torqued down nicely. I also have a very small leak coming from somewhere very vague, possibly near the head gasket. Hard to track down since the only traces are mostly pulled around misc parts of the head from the wind. I'm thinking I might try a 10-40 mineral and do without the leaks, unless anyone has any tips that might help.

I also wanted to say thank you again to the community for sharing all it's knowledge. I couldn't have done everything I have without all of your help and motivation. I look forward to hopefully being able to contribute as much as I have taken in.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:25 am

Spargett wrote:Just wanted to give everyone an update.

Carbs: The bike is running a little rich right now. I'm gonna try dropping the main jets down a bit and hot plugging. Here's another question, I've read that if the bike starts without any choke, you're running too rich. Now is this in relation to the fuel/air screw at idle or the size of the idle jet? Does this rule still apply on a hot day (70°-90°)? Getting warm here in CA.
Good to hear you're back up & running, Scott!

First and most obvious Q: you haven't dumped the carb slides back in the wrong carbs, have you? That puts them arse about face, with the cutaway facing the head, and causes rich running!
Spargett wrote:Now is this in relation to the fuel/air screw at idle or the size of the idle jet?
Both/either, I'd say.
Spargett wrote:Does this rule still apply on a hot day
No, not at all. The air/fuel mix is 14:1, no matter what. The motor, when cold, creates condensation within the intake tract. Condensation=oxygen, ergo the requirement for more fuel until the motor is warm enough to 'dry out' the charge (air/fuel mix).

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:28 am

Thanks for the clarification on those Steve. Slides are in correctly.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:31 am

I thought you'd have been pretty observant on that score! Gotta check, though....

This is where a Gunson Colortune comes in handy, me ol' chum! You can 'see' the combustion properties throughout the throttle range.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:40 am

My preferred method:
  • Clean the plugs then ride; try not to allow it to idle for long.
    Stop after a good 5- or 10-miler of widish-throttle riding.
    Allow to cool a bit then check the plugs' colours.
Then:
  • Clean the plugs & allow idle for 10 mins.
    Allow to cool a bit then check the plugs' colours.

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:32 am

Hi Scott,

You know my preferred method :

Get it on a dyno with gas analyser, 50 to 100 USD, and you know it all.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:12 am

jensen wrote:Hi Scott,

You know my preferred method :

Get it on a dyno with gas analyser, 50 to 100 USD, and you know it all.

Jensen
I'd agree, if I could only find a Majorcan who could drive a dyno (I've yet to find one who can drive a bloody car properly!). Besides, some of us actually enjoy the "seat-of-the-pants" approach to tuning and maintenance; it's part of the charm of owning an older machine. And arriving at a satisfactory conclusion to a problem with nothing more than the bike's toolkit and a brass wire brush is such a buzz....

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home