honda305.com Member

Post by Lancaster » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:30 am

Cool thanks for the info and reply
Lancaster

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:58 am

G-Man wrote:Hi Lancaster

The Oil filter on this bike is a centrifugal one which mechanically spins the muck out of the oil. It's driven by a chain from the left hand crank end and lives under the cover with the three screws at the front of the primary chain case. You have to dismantle and clean this at regular intervals.

As for oil, best to search this site for a myriad of opinions on oil for these little machines. The suggestions will range from the original 30W oil recommended by Honda in the 50s and 60s up to modern synthetics. I'll stay on safe ground and suggest that whatever you use, that you change it as often as you can afford! Suffice to say that oil has developed as much over the last 50 or 60 years as all of the other branches of Engineering.....

G
Spot-on advice. Change oil and clean filter at least every 1000mls. Use the oil that suits your pocket, but don't overdo it; I use Castrol 15w40 semi-detergent for wet clutch bikes for my climate. Many, LM included, use straight SAE30 non-detergent.

If you remove the 3-screw cover, don't re-assemble without removing the entire clutch cover itself -- there's a washer that goes between the filter drum and the crankcasings that drops off into that cover. Drain off the oil first.

Search The Forum here for keywords like "oil type" and "oil filter" for more info. And try to get the Bill Silver books on eBay or CD from Michael Stoic.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:09 am

That washer installs at the end with the pin not at the engine end.
If ya install it at the engine end the aluminum at the pin end wear into each other. ...........lm

e3steve wrote:
G-Man wrote:Hi Lancaster

The Oil filter on this bike is a centrifugal one which mechanically spins the muck out of the oil. It's driven by a chain from the left hand crank end and lives under the cover with the three screws at the front of the primary chain case. You have to dismantle and clean this at regular intervals.

As for oil, best to search this site for a myriad of opinions on oil for these little machines. The suggestions will range from the original 30W oil recommended by Honda in the 50s and 60s up to modern synthetics. I'll stay on safe ground and suggest that whatever you use, that you change it as often as you can afford! Suffice to say that oil has developed as much over the last 50 or 60 years as all of the other branches of Engineering.....

G
Spot-on advice. Change oil and clean filter at least every 1000mls. Use the oil that suits your pocket, but don't overdo it; I use Castrol 15w40 semi-detergent for wet clutch bikes for my climate. Many, LM included, use straight SAE30 non-detergent.

If you remove the 3-screw cover, don't re-assemble without removing the entire clutch cover itself -- there's a washer that goes between the filter drum and the crankcasings that drops off into that cover. Drain off the oil first.

Search The Forum here for keywords like "oil type" and "oil filter" for more info. And try to get the Bill Silver books on eBay or CD from Michael Stoic.

Lancaster
honda305.com Member

Post by Lancaster » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:21 am

Very helpful info on this topic. I just ordered both new air filters a new sealed battery and some other things so I figured why go this far and not change the oil out to make sure its all ok.
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!
Lancaster

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:07 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:That washer installs at the end with the pin not at the engine end.
If ya install it at the engine end the aluminum at the pin end wear into each other. ...........lm

e3steve wrote:Spot-on advice. Change oil and clean filter at least every 1000mls. Use the oil that suits your pocket, but don't overdo it; I use Castrol 15w40 semi-detergent for wet clutch bikes for my climate. Many, LM included, use straight SAE30 non-detergent.

Bollox! I always get that bit wrong; I've neither changed my oil nor cleaned my filter in 2000mls, as I'm running this old motor into the ground 'till it can rattle no more. The last time I pulled the filter cover I got the washer back from the clutch casing with a hooked welding wire. I put it back where it belongs and then still I give wrong advice. Don't listen to me, guys! Sorry......

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:11 am

:-) Alright there Steve! Ya better get ya act together!. :-). ..............lm

e3steve wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:That washer installs at the end with the pin not at the engine end.

e3steve wrote:Spot-on advice. Change oil and clean filter at least every 1000mls. Use the oil that suits your pocket, but don't overdo it; I use Castrol 15w40 semi-detergent for wet clutch bikes for my climate. Many, LM included, use straight SAE30 non-detergent.

Bollox! I always get that bit wrong; I've neither changed my oil nor cleaned my filter in 2000mls, as I'm running this old motor into the ground 'till it can rattle no more. The last time I pulled the filter cover I got the washer back from the clutch casing with a hooked welding wire. I put it back where it belongs and then still I give wrong advice. Don't listen to me, guys! Sorry......

Lancaster
honda305.com Member

Post by Lancaster » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:28 pm

Ok went out last night and bout the oil I got the synthetic. Here are couple pics of the bike as of now. I am waiting on the new air filters and the tank cleaner and sealer to get here as long with the exhaust flanges and collars also the new battery.

All thats left to do is take off the side covers on the motor and clean and paint them while they are off change the oil and degrease the motor and then paint the rear fender then clean the wheels. Then put it the fenders and stuff back on and let it ride.
Attachments
P8130932 (Medium).JPG
P8130933 (Medium).JPG
P8130934 (Medium).JPG
P8130936 (Medium).JPG
P8130937 (Medium).JPG

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home