Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:37 am

jensen wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if you installed a new rubber hose around the throttle (I don't know the correct translation in english). If you did, maybe it's fitted to far to the aluminium parts on the plastic innerpart of the throttle. Spacing between rubber part and aluminium should be enough. I can't see it on the picture if that's the case.

Jensen
Grip.

I see where Jensen is going with this: perhaps the grip flange is binding on the housing? I'd say his first diagnosis is more likely, and the handlebar is possibly pressing against the inside end of the grip.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:04 am

Okay guys, I have alot of photos and alot of questions, as well as responses. But in the mean time, I just wanted to share this with you for now.

Obviously not completed, just rolled out in a semi-tangible state.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:26 am

He-he-heeeey, looking really sweet, Scott! Which tyres did you use?

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks Steve, those are the Avon AM26 Roadriders.
e3steve wrote:He-he-heeeey, looking really sweet, Scott! Which tyres did you use?

305 SH
honda305.com Member

Post by 305 SH » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:32 pm

Semi-tangible state is great!...just look back at the last 28 pages of this thread. You've got lots of reasons to be proud of your work! More to come I'm sure.

Bob

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:50 pm

So I'm working on sorting out all the wiring. Here's a shot of inside the headlight housing. My question is: Can I run all these ground together like so then insulate this? Makes sense to me, but I wanted to run it by the forum first. The voice of experience.

Here's a wiring diagram in color for reference.

(Click photo to view full size)

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:16 pm

I've been having problems with my front brake. After reassembling, I just couldn't get the stopping power I'd need to ride safely. One of the tests I've been doing (since the bike isn't running yet), is rolling out of the garage, which is on a very slight grade by just pushing with my feet and pulling the brake to measure the stopping ability.

What it'll do it coming to a stop slowly after about 1 - 1 1/2 feet. Keep in mind this is just me rolling at a few mph. At that rate, if a car quickly stopped in front of me going just 25mph, I'd surely smash into the back of it.

I then realized that I initially scrubbed the inside of the hub with engine degreaser, and maybe that's causing the inability to properly grip. So I put the bike up on the jack and disassembled both wheels and cleaned them out with brake cleaner.

Here's the before and after. I was pretty confident this would fix the issue. (these are of the rear brake shoes, but the front shoes looked exactly the same).

So after reassembly, I spun the whee and pulled on the level. The brakes gripped nicely. I then did the same test, rolling out of the garage. It was nearly the same to my dismay.

I've tried experimenting with different methods of adjusting the brake drum lever rods and cable adjuster. Haven't had any success with that, but I don't really know what I'm doing either. Adjusting the cable adjust alone had no effect on end braking power, just tension within the lever. Here's a shot of how everything looks.

ANY help or feedback in fixing this is greatly appreciated. Safety is my #1 concern at the end of the day, and it's current state is far from satisfactory in my opinion.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home