Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New guy here

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:23 pm

Very nice. I'm jealous on that find.

If you want some tips on how to reupholster the seat, let me know. It's what I do for a living.

-Joe

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Post by 56_oval » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:56 pm

cyclon36 wrote:Very nice. I'm jealous on that find.

If you want some tips on how to reupholster the seat, let me know. It's what I do for a living.

-Joe
I would love some advice on the seat. I'm confident I can make a cover, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. PM me or post back to this thread. I may start another thread on the seat recover later so maybe other people can find it.

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:43 pm

This is how I would go about doing it assuming you want it to look the same.

1. carefully remove the vinyl cover from the seat. Try not to take any foam with it.
2. using fiberglass resin, paint whatever foam is left over to solidify it and keep it from crumbling. You can leave it on the pan
3. Using any sort of hardening filler, even the surface out filling in any areas where foam is missing, holes, cracks, chips, etc. You're basically trying to mold the seat back out into its original shape.
4. sand the seat so that it's smooth with no irregularities and so that it is even from side to side.
5. paint the seat using a high build primer. Several coats should be applied.
6. sand down the primer so it is nice and smooth. You should be able to see any dimples, or dents you missed on steps 3 and 4. If you find any, sand, fill, and sand again making sure to finish with the primer.
7. once the seat is sanded and primed, spray a final coat of semi-gloss paint (color doesn't matter).
8. using a mold release spray or mild lubricant, coat the seat.
9. start fiberglassing. You're essentially making a negative mold of the seat now with fiberglass. Take your mold to where the foam meets the seat pan. You can use wood strips along the sides and top to reinforce your mold.
10. Allow mold to dry and remove foam from mold.

You now have a mold for your seat. This is how you use it.

1. using a two part expandable and flexible foam, mix a small amount. This should only be enough to cover the valleys and recesses in the top of the seat (bottom of the mold) and level out the mold.
2. once the foam has expanded and leveled out, but not dried, place strips of seat padding/foam to fill the remainder. If you have to layer the foam, use an interior trim adhesive. The foam should be almost as long as the seat and almost as wide.
3. once the foam is built up, fill in the cracks and crevices with more two-part foam. Feel free to let it rise above the mold as you can cut it to level later.
4. let the foam dry and cut the base level. You now have a new foam base.

This is a good way to get a duplicate of the original seat. The methods are the easiest for a home job. You can use the two-part foam to fill the entire seat, but the two part foam mixtures are usually too hard, don't expand well in thick regions, or don't wear as well as traditional foam. The mixture extends the life and makes the seat more comfortable.

There are companies that can make foam seats for you from an original, but they are usually pricey. Let me know if anything doesn't make sense.

-Joe

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Post by 56_oval » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:33 pm

davomoto wrote:No, no complaining at that price! Dig the C100, I restored one of those about ten years ago. Ended up trading it for a truckload of CB77 Parts bikes. Please post pics of the pan when you remove the foam.

Davo
Thanks Davo. I bought that for my girlfriend about a year ago. She rides it from time to time. I think I ride it more than she does, all at 29mph! Here's a couple of pics. I recovered the seat a month ago, but these pics are from last summer.

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Post by 56_oval » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:15 pm

I picked up a side stand today for a good price. It appears to be in good shape, just a little rusty. I have heard that these break quite often. Can anyone tell me where to look for cracks? I have looked closely and have found no cracks, but I haven't cleaned it yet.

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:20 pm

56_oval wrote:I picked up a side stand today for a good price. It appears to be in good shape, just a little rusty. I have heard that these break quite often. Can anyone tell me where to look for cracks? I have looked closely and have found no cracks, but I haven't cleaned it yet.
I think the bracket breaks more often than the actual stand. Too much up and down play in my opinion for a cast piece. That's one of the things I'll be trying to improve during my build.

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Post by 56_oval » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:30 pm

The bracket does look quite flimsy to hold a 350lb bike up. I'm not sure where it attaches to the bike. Do you have a good pic of it so I can see how it attaches?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home