□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:50 pm

So I have a few pieces that need identification. (please click on any of the photos to view at a higher resolution)

Here's the first. This came so many months I honestly can't remember where it came from, except for me having the thought, "Oh, I'll remember this". Something tells me it was within the right crankcase, correct?

Here are two shots of the piece. You'll see there's some form of washer that lies within. One with it in, and one with it outside.

I was readjusting the engine on the lift and heard a slight *tink* noise to find this on on the ground just below the left side of the engine. Both crankcases were off. Is the the oil filter washer that goes on the outside?

Here's a shot of the left side of the engine exposed if you can spot anything. (click for full res - 1,752 x 1,166)

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:14 pm

I should be tuning carbs by Monday! Eek!
Piece o' cake; don't feel daunted!

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:46 pm

Hah. I meant more in the sense of, "I can't belive after all the work and time spent, that I'll actually be at the point which seemed so far away."

I just know I'm gonna run into some electrical issues. It's not really my forte, but I'm eager to learn.
e3steve wrote:
I should be tuning carbs by Monday! Eek!
Piece o' cake; don't feel daunted!

mobilyte
honda305.com Member

Post by mobilyte » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:24 pm

looks like a gear shift seal from the right crankcase that is torn and missing the wire spring.
Spargett wrote: Image

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:32 pm

PIC#1 & PIC#2 is the seal at the inside of the clutch rod adjuster.
Never mind the lock washer.
PIC#3 may be the washer you don't have at the OIL FILTER shaft and also have a rod so long that ya won't be able to install the polished cover. Also the crank nut is installed with the wrong side out and I suspect the washer may not be able to hold the nut to the crank and I'm not sure which side of the compression washer is in or out.
Pic #3 actually may be the washer which installs at the top of the spring which pushes the chain tension part into the chain and stops the sharp edges of the tension part from cutting the spring over time.
If it is where is the washer which MUST be at this side of the oil filter?
I see ya have the OLD CLUTCH PARTS ALONG WITH THE OLD (USELESS) FRICTION DISC. .......lm

Spargett wrote:So I have a few pieces that need identification. (please click on any of the photos to view at a higher resolution)

Here's the first. This came so many months I honestly can't remember where it came from, except for me having the thought, "Oh, I'll remember this". Something tells me it was within the right crankcase, correct?

Here are two shots of the piece. You'll see there's some form of washer that lies within. One with it in, and one with it outside.

I was readjusting the engine on the lift and heard a slight *tink* noise to find this on on the ground just below the left side of the engine. Both crankcases were off. Is the the oil filter washer that goes on the outside?

Here's a shot of the left side of the engine exposed if you can spot anything. (click for full res - 1,752 x 1,166)

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:48 am

Thanks LM. I'll look into that first thing tomorrow morning.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:52 am

Is there a particular contact the ignition coils need to be hooked up on? I realized this after I attached them on different contacts during reassembly. I couldn't really find any info in the shop manual or parts manual going over it.

Right side:

Left side:

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home