□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Scott, I've said it before, I know, but it's so inspiring to read your posts. My intention was to start my full resto last October, but other situations prevailed: moving apartment, marital reconciliation, filthy/dusty garage...... Now, it's too bloody hot here to get anything done! 40ºC today!

I also followed J Lee's work as avidly as I did wordman5's last year. You guys, and your fabulous results, are a real inspiration; so thanks, all three of you, for your pictorial timelines. I, like you, Scott, am aiming for a kind of perfection rather than Honda originality or correctness; you know the score: take an already-great bike and strive to make it better!

Thanks again!!

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:37 am

Got alot done. I feel like I'm so close, yet so far away. A huge pile of little things waiting. I just threw the wheels in real quick to get an idea.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:56 pm

Here's my friend Vince helping me with a few tips on wheel truing. You can view his CB175 restoration here)

A closer shot of the truing meter in action. An incredibly helpful tool. I know some people can do with it something as simple as a pencil or some other form of reference, but I can't imagine using anything but this afterwards.

And a video of the end result in the rear tire, which I did last night. If you have any input on anything you see, please don't hesitate to share your thoughts. I'm looking to learn everything I can since I'm new to truing.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:54 pm

The one thing I've lost throughout this entire restoration was the little green gaskets that go within the head gasket on the cylinder. After waiting forever, and finally ordering them from Honda (PN# 91303-259-000), they finally came today.

They don't seem to create the same seal that originals did. Is this okay? Is there something I should do here? Add gasket sealant? I'm really in a bind here because I have to wrap all of this up by Sunday before I loose my garage.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Original o-rings - green one's at the bottom left and right corner

Honda replacement o-rings

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:06 pm

They will squish down and flatten out when you torque the head bolts. I use a small amount of hondabond around them.

davomoto

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:53 am

Hi,

I used theserings from honda in my dream from '64.
Like dave says, they will flaten out when torque the head.
Untill today (13.000 KM after rebuild) these rings do there job.

I never use honda bond or whatever bond on these engines, it' simply not needed, but it won't do harm either I think.

Be carefull with using bond on oil pasages, honda never choose for using bond on oil pasages in the cilinder head directly, at least I don't have any example of it at any models.

Check temperture resistence of the bond you use here, the temp can get there above 120 degrees celsius. Most gasket bonds just give up above 120 degrees celcius. Also check oil / petrol resistence of the bond you use.

By the way, I read your entire story, it's fun reading it, al the small and big problems you have to overcome, it's just so reconisible for anyone who restores such a machine.

succes,

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:29 am

Jensen and Davomoto, thanks a million for input. I don't what I'd do without this forum. You guys are all great in addition to everyone else that has made this all possible.

I should be tuning carbs by Monday! Eek!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home