□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:19 pm

I didn't touch the tail light bracket. It appears to have been powder coated by the previous owner, which was still in good condition.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Any chance ya have a pic of the tail light bracket before the new finish?. ................lm

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:20 pm

OK?????????????. ............lm

Spargett wrote:I didn't touch the tail light bracket. It appears to have been powder coated by the previous owner, which was still in good condition.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Any chance ya have a pic of the tail light bracket before the new finish?. ................lm

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:25 pm

So I hate to do this, but I have a few reassembly questions. I tried to be really good about documenting the take apart, but this was one night when I slipped up.

I'm about to reassemble the forks and the steering stem, but I can't remember which order the parts were in. The part manual isn't too much of a help to me. Just a number of ambiguous pen drawn disks. In reference to jleewebb's photo, I can't tell if there's an additional part that's cupping the bearings or if they just rest within groove, held in place temporarily by grease.
Last edited by Spargett on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

steering stem and damper

Post by jleewebb » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:47 pm

Ball bearings are just held temporarily with grease, stick a finger full or so of grease up into top-lower race and shove it together. I seem to remember there's a rubber washer/grease seal, then a thin metal washer under the bottom-lower race. So order from bottom would be washer, seal, bottom-lower race.

Hope pix below help explain steering damper, looks like you've got upper part upside down.

Glad to see your bike coming together, keep us posted. --Lee
Attachments
View from left side.
View from left side.
View from right side.
View from right side.
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

more on steering stem

Post by jleewebb » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:10 pm

Parts manual is confusing because it doesn't show what I'm calling the top-lower race, which is up inside frame. Part #2 is bottom-lower race, part #3 is upper race at top of steering stem, with race under that also not shown. Hope I got this right...--Lee
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:22 am

Ahhh, I see... makes perfect sense. Thanks a ton Lee. A photo is easily worth a thousand words!

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:39 pm

Got the forks together, of course the powder coater painted over the chrome ring on the fork covers. It appears to be it's own part based on the part's manual, but haven't had any success in finding it.

Another day in paradise with yours truly.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home