honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Cold Beer In Hand. New Superhawk in basement.

CJN
honda305.com Member

Cold Beer In Hand. New Superhawk in basement.

Post by CJN » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:44 pm

Hello, Fellow Old Bike Enthusiasts.

I am new to the bike restoration process....but I am excited to get going. I am encouraged to know that the Superhawk is reasonably easy to work on, and that there are so many people interested and willing to offer input here in this forum.

I recently bought a friend's CB77. We think it is a 1968. Engine #E1046188, Frame 1046162. It has not run for 6 years, but I intend to bring it back. I want it to be a good rider, not a show piece. As far as I know, it is all original. I intend to keep it as close to stock as is possible. It has had some charging issues in the past....so I inherit them. Does this bike share common parts with all other Honda 305s? Can I buy a STATOR or RECTIFIER from a Scrambler or Dream, for example? It needs a new starter, apparently. Is this interchangeable with CL/CA? Also, the low rise STEERING HANDLE is very slightly bent. Instead of straightening, I am considering converting to straight bars (broomstick?). They seem to be available in 24 and 29 inch widths. Are either (or both) of these authentic size? Are CABLES available, or will I need to have cables shortened? Bike needs TIRES.....and I gather these are a little tough to get here in the US of A. I am not opposed to more modern looking (and riding) alternatives. I have read threads about Dunlop K81s and Chen Shing. Does anyone have other suggestions? (Even if they don't "look" exactly correct) How much tire will this bike accomodate? Is changing size even an option?

Also, the ENGINE CASE is in pretty rough shape on this bike. Are there affordable re-finishing options that anyone can share? Is use of high temp-tolerant paint gonna get me kicked out of here?!

Electrical is my achilles heal.......Is the ELECTRONIC IGNITION lower maintenance, once installed? Anyone care to poo-poo or champion this unit?
Are the replacement BOLT/NUT KITS available (Ohio Cycle's, for example) worth the expense?

Probably too much for one post.....I better knock off here, for now.

THANK YOU, in advance, for any and ALL opinions, thoughts, advice, and prayers. I'll put all to good use. I'm ready to dig in! I will try to post some pics as I get underway.

Kindest Regards, Chris
Wind in your hair, Bugs in your teeth!

68Cb77
honda305.com Member

Post by 68Cb77 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:15 am

Well, you are certainly lucky to be living near Western Hills Honda, they likely will have nearly everything you might need.. and lot's of people on here to help as well. I can offer some help, but am running out the door.....I'll let some of the experts in here first....Good luck
67 Honda CB77 Superhawk
82 Honda XR200R
70 Honda CB750 K0

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:34 am

I suggest you start off by buying the two Bill Silver books available on this site. They are invaluable when working on these bikes, and will answer many of your questions for you. Stators are the same for CB and CL 250 and 305, but different on the CAs. You will want to test yours with an OHM meter before replacing. Upgrade the rectifier to a solid state unit, avaiable at retrobikes.com, ebay, or radio shack if you want to build your own. The low bar cables do come up on ebay quite often. Avon venom road rider, I think, are avaiable in stock sizes, 80/90-18 front and 90/90-18 rear. I have gone up a size front and rear, but also have rims one size wider.These are a modern tread pattern, good sticky tires. The electronic ignition kit is no longer being produced. The engine side cases were oroigionally painted, center cases and cylinder and head bare. Bead blasing of those parts makes for a really nice finish. Krylon dull aluminum is the accepted color for side cases. There are some nice stainless allen bolt kits available out there if you aren't concerned about kepping it 100% stock. The year of the bike is 1964. These were last produced in 1967, but were often titles as the year they were first sold. How about posting some pics of the bike?

davomoto

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:55 am

With a 7 digit number and 104XXXX I'd say it's more like a 1966. ..........lm
davomoto wrote:I suggest you start off by buying the two Bill Silver books available on this site. They are invaluable when working on these bikes, and will answer many of your questions for you. Stators are the same for CB and CL 250 and 305, but different on the CAs. You will want to test yours with an OHM meter before replacing. Upgrade the rectifier to a solid state unit, avaiable at retrobikes.com, ebay, or radio shack if you want to build your own. The low bar cables do come up on ebay quite often. Avon venom road rider, I think, are avaiable in stock sizes, 80/90-18 front and 90/90-18 rear. I have gone up a size front and rear, but also have rims one size wider.These are a modern tread pattern, good sticky tires. The electronic ignition kit is no longer being produced. The engine side cases were oroigionally painted, center cases and cylinder and head bare. Bead blasing of those parts makes for a really nice finish. Krylon dull aluminum is the accepted color for side cases. There are some nice stainless allen bolt kits available out there if you aren't concerned about kepping it 100% stock. The year of the bike is 1964. These were last produced in 1967, but were often titles as the year they were first sold. How about posting some pics of the bike?

davomoto

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:34 am

Public school education! I only counted 6 numbers. Thanks for the correction emo.

davomoto

CJN
honda305.com Member

Great Info!

Post by CJN » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:22 pm

Thank you for the quick and easy response, Davomoto. (And LM and 68cb77) I suspected the year was "off", but I thought 1968 was an option, at least! 1966, then. 68cb77, given your sign-in - you may want to look into your bikes history! Must have been purchased in 1968. We were going on the original owner's estimate. I just have registration info (no original title) between owners 1 and 2. I am #3. Bike has just 9000 miles. My bike has the smaller (3 1/2 wide, more rounded) TAILLIGHT LENS, too.....and it seems many late 60's production bikes have a larger, more boxy lens. (Different assembly, altogether) Is this an indicator of year, as well? Is it possible mine is not correct for 1966?

I appreciate the paint, tires, and electrical info, as well. Will the Avon tires work on standard rims? I have read about using bridge rectifiers instead of the old finned originals. Like I said, electrical is my weak area....ever since that toaser incident years ago! (Just kidding) Are there resources for this conversion? Are the STARTERS from the CL series able to be used on the CBs? I have not tested mine yet, but it was not working when the bike was parked 6-7 years back. I like the look of the flat bars with hidden cables. Should I expect to have to shorten cables in order to get this done? Were any of the factory Hondas issued with cables roted through the bars? I have read that people are having trouble with some of the aftermarket cable ends. It seems silver solder is the way to go. Any alternatives, or are the eBay "low bar" cables a good fit?! I will be making a pilgramage to Western Hills Honda, here in Cincinnati, first. I hear the guys up there are a wealth of info....and they have lots of NOS parts. Lucky to be just a short drive away. Can I get anything for anybody?!

I intend to give the bike a good once over (mostly to familiarize myself, and to get it cleaned up), replace battery, points, plugs, etc..... before kicking it to freedom. I will post pics, as recommended. THANK YOU, again. BIG HELP! Anyone else have thoughts/ideas?! Thanks!
Wind in your hair, Bugs in your teeth!

68Cb77
honda305.com Member

Post by 68Cb77 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:11 pm

yes, I picked my sign in name before i realized it's a 66 or 67...oh well.
67 Honda CB77 Superhawk
82 Honda XR200R
70 Honda CB750 K0

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home