honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Problems after/before broken throttle cable.

MichaelRogers
honda305.com Member

Problems after/before broken throttle cable.

Post by MichaelRogers » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:54 am

I was ridding on the bike on the expressway the other day when the throttle cable broke. I think it broke partially as a result of the bike not running well and having the throttle pegged open. I got the bike home and put an extra cable in now when i start it up it starts fine and idles fine. When i give it gas it bogs down and stalls. If i slowly rev it it runs fin. It is just if you snap the throttle.

I think i have the carbs synced but I'm going to try that again. When i checked the timing the plate had come loose and it was pretty far advanced. I put it back where it should be and it doesn't seem to help any. I've also checked the float height on the carbs.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. At this point im kind of out of things to try.

Thanks
Michael

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:16 am

Did you put the slides back in the wrong side? Cutouts should face the air filters.

Davo

MichaelRogers
honda305.com Member

Post by MichaelRogers » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:07 am

I did check that. I also checked to make sure the carbs are still synced and that looked good too. It seems to be an issue switching between the fast and slow jets. If it it is switched to the fast jet already it isn't an issue.

Thanks
Michael

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:15 am

Do the tune up recipie in the FAQ section of the forum. If problem persists, try adjusting air / fuel screws.

Davo

MichaelRogers
honda305.com Member

Post by MichaelRogers » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:05 pm

I've tried the above no luck. I can effect the idle by adjusting the screws but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the main issue.

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:11 pm

There are two screws on each carb. One is idle, middle of carb, and the other is air / fuel, to the front of the carb. That is the one to adjust. Have you checked / adjusted valves? Done a compression test? You said that it was running poorly before so there may be a bigger issue.

Davo

MichaelRogers
honda305.com Member

Post by MichaelRogers » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:21 pm

I was adjusting the air mixture . I did do a compression test and got 150 and 140 using the kick starter, I'm pretty sure that is what it was it was a couple weeks ago. I haven't checked the valves yet. I'll put that on my list.

Yeah it had no power when it was on the expressway. When i replaced the throttle cable the timing was advanced probably 15-20 degrees i don't know if that screwed something else up at the same time. It was the first time it had been on the expressway in a long time. Most trips on it were about a mile or two over the summer back and forth to work.

Thanks
Michael

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home