Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 Honda CB77 SuperHawk 305

STSCowboy
honda305.com Member

1964 Honda CB77 SuperHawk 305

Post by STSCowboy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:14 pm

I just picked up a new Barn Find bike. It looks like it has all of the pieces. I will post some photos tomorrow. The bike has some surface rust on the chrome pieces and oxidation on the aluminum but for a 47 year old bike it looks great for a restoration/rebuild.

What colors were available in 1964? What can you tell me about the finishes on the various metal parts such as the fenders (Currently painted over). I dont know if they are aluminum or chromed steel underneath. I have never seen one of these bikes in person before. Is the stock chrome (Triple Plated, Nickel Plated etc.? Does the Aluminum have a polished, brushed finish etc?

I am technically the second owner but there was a caretaker in the middle for 16 years as it sat in his garage. There isnt a dent anywhere on the sheetmetal at all. The Tank, Fenders, Side Panels and Pipes are 100% Dent free! I am wondering if Powder Coating them is a good option or should I repaint?

Thanks!
Last edited by STSCowboy on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

hishairisred
honda305.com Member

Post by hishairisred » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:53 am

Hey STS
Congrats on your find, 77's are rare birds especially in such good condition.
There were 5 color varieties available through its production, black, red, blue, white and chrome, listed in order of rarity. Black is the most classic look.
I would recommend a good powdercoater that can match the colors as it will be impermeable to scratches and has a very good finish, cheaper usually as well. I personally wet painted the faring parts and powder coated the frame, though I had several dents that I had to fill with bondo. I have to say that a good wet paint job is simply stunning, so it is your call on which to do.
all the faring parts, side panels, tank, fenders are made from formed sheet steel, so they will rust if not properly painted, powdercoating would make it impossible to rust.
More importantly how does the engine run if it has been sitting for 16 years? Im hoping the carbs are clean and the tank not too rusted. otherwise just keep fresh oil in it and convert it to electronic timing (available on this site) and you are golden, these bikes will last a lifetime if properly maintained.
good luck and welcome to the forum.
Ian

STSCowboy
honda305.com Member

Post by STSCowboy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:54 pm

I didnt even try to start it. The tank has some surface rust inside. I am just going to strip the bike down and go from there. I will rebuild the engine as it has sat for so long and need to take it apart to restore its finish anyway.

Can you/anyone post some photos of the various colors? I am leaning towards the Blue even though stock its a black bike.

One quick question, How do you remove the rubber side panels and chrome side panels on the tank?

Joe

hishairisred
honda305.com Member

Post by hishairisred » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:36 pm

they have slotted grips that slide onto notches cut in the chrome panels, so pull out along the tank about an inch on any part of it and pull away from the tank, and it will slide out of the notch, you will be able to feel where those notches are, the tricky part is getting them back on without ripping the rubber, I found its easiest starting from the front tiny corner and pulling back from there to the other corners and ending in the middle slots.

STSCowboy
honda305.com Member

Post by STSCowboy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:16 am

I just updated the original post with a photo of the bike as it sat in my van on the way home. I was told the bike is complete with the sole addition of factory original Scrambler bars. I have no idea if that is true or not but there she sits. I was told there was a story as to the reason the fenders and side panels had Brown paint thrown on there but the 2nd caretaker couldnt recall what what it was.

Joe

hishairisred
honda305.com Member

Post by hishairisred » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:52 am

ooo funky color, looks as if someone was trying to make a dirtbike out of it (pretty common for cl77's) that sure is the original cl bars, they look strange on the hawk.
Great bike though, looks like it will be a fun/moderately easy restoration

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:52 am

STS,

Please add your location to your profile! You may have a fellow forum member near you. I see an old black California plate on that bike.

Davo

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home