□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

looking for new tires

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Post by 56_oval » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:12 pm

bikedoctor99 wrote:Here are a couple of pictures taken today and a few days ago. BTW this is the seat that I will make a cover for. Also a rear shot of the pipes you like.
I like the look. Very racey. How do they handle? From the looks of the bike, you could take her around some nice corners!

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Post by 56_oval » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:15 pm

bikedoctor99 wrote:Here are a couple of pictures taken today and a few days ago. BTW this is the seat that I will make a cover for. Also a rear shot of the pipes you like.
Had a couple other questions. Where did you get the velocity stacks? And what kindda pipes are those and where do I find some?!

bikedoctor99
honda305.com Member

tires

Post by bikedoctor99 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:58 am

these tires are great- big foot print so lots of rubber for braking and plenty of lean angle. They're very stable over the unexpected and unavoidable rough/ choppy surfaces and no problems with elongated deteriorated seams that I've encountered. Truth is, I've only ridden on OEM tires during the '60s. The tires that were used when I last raced this bike in 1970 were Dunlop KR73 Triangulars on 19" rims because 18" racing rubber wasn't available. I took the entire bike apart at the end of 1970 season for a total rebuild and the parts never saw each other again until last year; so this is the 2nd pair of tires for this bike. BTW bike handles fine, need to turn the front hub and match the shoes while they're mounted to the brake plate. Can't remember who made the stacks, bought them in '67, but you should find bell mouthed types without screens- they will increase the intake air speed. The pipes are the same ones that were available as a kit with your seat!

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Re: tires

Post by 56_oval » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:42 am

bikedoctor99 wrote:these tires are great- big foot print so lots of rubber for braking and plenty of lean angle. They're very stable over the unexpected and unavoidable rough/ choppy surfaces and no problems with elongated deteriorated seams that I've encountered. Truth is, I've only ridden on OEM tires during the '60s. The tires that were used when I last raced this bike in 1970 were Dunlop KR73 Triangulars on 19" rims because 18" racing rubber wasn't available. I took the entire bike apart at the end of 1970 season for a total rebuild and the parts never saw each other again until last year; so this is the 2nd pair of tires for this bike. BTW bike handles fine, need to turn the front hub and match the shoes while they're mounted to the brake plate. Can't remember who made the stacks, bought them in '67, but you should find bell mouthed types without screens- they will increase the intake air speed. The pipes are the same ones that were available as a kit with your seat!
Man that's a great story! Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong era, That bike was taken apart nine years before I was even thought of! Hows the bike do on the track?

wrwy
honda305.com Member

Need Tires

Post by wrwy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:51 am

Im kooking for the original tread design or close to it for my 65 Hawk. My manual says 2.75 18 on the front and 3.00 18 on the rear. Just can't see too many on line. Any ideas of where to look?
Attachments
Rick and Superhawk.jpg

bikedoctor99
honda305.com Member

Post by bikedoctor99 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:11 am

Dennis Kirk.com carries Duro tires in similar OE patterns and sizes. I stopped looking when I found the Avons that were recommended and more appropriate for my application. BTW very nice l looking bike.

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Re: Need Tires

Post by 56_oval » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:52 am

wrwy wrote:Im kooking for the original tread design or close to it for my 65 Hawk. My manual says 2.75 18 on the front and 3.00 18 on the rear. Just can't see too many on line. Any ideas of where to look?
IRC makes a couple of early looking tires. I used their nr-21 on my gilera front and rear. But they also make one called the nf2 thats ribbed and would look great on a vintage bike, I just haven't found anyone that carries it yet.

http://www.bikebandit.com/irc-nr21-moped-tire

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home