Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA 77 Only right side running

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
mattybpt
honda305.com Member

Post by mattybpt » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Update: Removed the carb and cleaned the air bleed holes, the jets, and adjusted the float to 28 mm. Installed D6 plugs and it started right up to I adjusted the air mix and idle screws to a good sounding idle with both sides firing. I rode for about 30 min. with good power and no hesitations during accelerations running up to 50 mph. I pulled the plugs after the ride and the were both black and sooty but less than before. Could the valves cause richness? I've adjusted them 2 times and the engine still sounds a little pingy (not sure if this is a real word). Thoughts?

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:16 pm

Good - Set the mixture screw as unscrewed as still gives you a good idle (no more than 1-1/2 or so). Try working the float down even a little more. From your previous posts you've done everything else right, stock OEM jets, needle, OEM-type air filter, etc. I think you're close.

The valve clearance has nothing to do with running rich. You can get fooled by a feeler gauge if the valve stem ends are cupped. Try a dial indicator on the adjuster to measure the real clearance. Get a feel for what .004" feels like when you wiggle the rocker arm by hand. These engines are a little noisy in general. Cam chain adjusted properly?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home