Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA 77 Only right side running

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:10 am

rrietman wrote:M; did you by chance rebuild the carb with a Keyster kit? If so , I hope you saved the original slide needle. that could be the problem.
Good Luck
Randy
+1

also, if you still have the original jets, clean and re-install them if they are not damaged as sometimes aftermarket jets are not true to size

also look at the needle jet (the pressed in jet in the body of the carb that the needle goes thru) to see if it is still perfectly round and not egg shaped (remote but possible)
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

mattybpt
honda305.com Member

Post by mattybpt » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:17 am

I did rebuild with a Keyster kit but ended up cleaning and putting in the original needle and jets back in. Do you think adjusting the float to 28 mm with solve the problem? I'm running out of ideas.

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:36 am

that should not be necessary, but you can try and see

also look at the needle jet closely

are you sure the air bleed tubes in the carb inlet are clear all the way thru to the jet sockets and idle mix screw socket?

what kind of air filter are you using?

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:45 am

Sounds like you're making progress. As Brewsky said, a dirty air filter can foul plugs too. The D6 plugs will definitely help, but D8's shouldn't foul out that quickly. I would try setting the float to 28mm. Stock exhaust with clean baffles?

mattybpt
honda305.com Member

Post by mattybpt » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:15 am

I'm using the original style air cleaner that I bought last year. It looks a little dirty but very minimal but I did take some compressed air yesterday to blow out each fold. Are the tubes coming out of the two holes on the front left of the original style air filter suppose to attach to the anything? I currently have them running out the side of the frame. Are the 2 nipples on the backside of the engine need to be attached to anything? Running original exhaust pipes with brand new baffles that I cleaned the other day. I did inspect all the carbs openings and everything appeared clear but where exactly is the air bleed tubes in the carb inlet? My thoughts are to replace the air cleaner, hotter plugs, and adjust the float to 28. Thoughts???

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:02 am

Try running without the air cleaner attached (just not on a dirt road) and see if there is any difference.

Here are the air bleed openings:
Attachments
ca77 carb inlet passages2.JPG
ca77 carb inlet passages2.JPG (63.6 KiB) Viewed 3345 times

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:08 pm

The two small (~1/4") holes in the air filter are for tubes that connect to the nipples on the back side of the head. That's just to ventilate the intake valve guides in an attempt to reduce oil consumption. The vents were eliminated in later issues and are not really necessary. I would just tape over the holes in the air filter and put some rubber caps on the nipples.

Those aren't your issue with running rich and they have nothing to do with the air bleeds pictured by Brewsky which may cause a rich condition if blocked. If you want to clear those, you should remove the bowl, jets, and idle mixture screw, then send a tag wire down there with a little compressed air.

I've had more than one Dream carb that was operating room clean run good at 28mm float height. Won't hurt anything to try it.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home