Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

No spark

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
benebob
honda305.com Member

No spark

Post by benebob » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:13 pm

I got the bike somewhat ready to get started but I'm not getting a spark. I'm not getting one with the spare coil on the parts bike either. It should get enough ground to spark if I hold it next to the block right? Ideas on testing would be greatly appriciated!

georGe
honda305.com Member

Re: No spark

Post by georGe » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:03 pm

Is the ignition on ? Dont laugh we've all done it !<br />what about the battery is it charged,is there one in the bike ?<br />What about the condensor and/or points?<br /><br /><br />georGe

benebob
honda305.com Member

Post by benebob » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:00 pm

It was the points needing cleaned. Bike is up and running and running quite well I might add. Just need to come up with the parts to finish her and she goes back to her owner for a nice easy life.

thankful
honda305.com Member

Post by thankful » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:24 am

benebob wrote:<br />It was the points needing cleaned. Bike is up and running and running quite well I might add. Just need to come up with the parts to finish her and she goes back to her owner for a nice easy life.<br />
<br /><br />I am having this same problem....<br /><br />You mentioned the points needing to be cleanend - and I have read about the points - I just dont know where they are or what they do.<br /><br />Can someone help?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />

ryan_siefrin
honda305.com Member

Post by ryan_siefrin » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:35 am

by points he means, electrical contacts, when to wires connect they have the opertunity to arc and get dirty and such, this appens over time, i'm guessing he just found a really coroded spot somewhere in the system and cleaned it.
Ryan Siefring

1965 Honda CA77 Dream
1996 Honda CBR 900 RR

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:43 am

ryan_siefrin wrote:<br />by points he means, electrical contacts, when to wires connect they have the opertunity to arc and get dirty and such, this appens over time, i'm guessing he just found a really coroded spot somewhere in the system and cleaned it.<br />
<br /><br />No, no, no!<br /><br />The points in question are an ignition component which induce the coils to produce a spark by interrupting the primary circuit. The points are controlled by a lobe at the end of the crankshaft. They sit under a cover plate with &quot;Type II&quot; on the face; right side of the motor.<br /><br />The points sit on a plate which controls the motor timing. Incorrect settings ruin the motor.<br /><br />&quot;Ryan&quot; and &quot;Thankful&quot; please get yourself some books on motorcycle basics. You absolutely must know this stuff if you own an old bike (or any old motor) and want it to run right!<br /><br />

thankful
honda305.com Member

Post by thankful » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:34 am

Michael Stoic wrote:<br />No, no, no!<br /><br />The points in question are an ignition component which induce the coils to produce a spark by interrupting the primary circuit. The points are controlled by a lobe at the end of the crankshaft. They sit under a cover plate with &quot;Type II&quot; on the face; right side of the motor.<br /><br />The points sit on a plate which controls the motor timing. Incorrect settings ruin the motor.<br /><br />&quot;Ryan&quot; and &quot;Thankful&quot; please get yourself some books on motorcycle basics. You absolutely must know this stuff if you own an old bike (or any old motor) and want it to run right!<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />Now were talking!<br /><br />Thats the type of info I need.<br /><br />Now as far as a book - tell me which one you suggest and I will go get it today for sure!!!<br /><br />I have learned a lot about this motor just by going through it myself - but that will take me only so far.<br /><br />I would love to get a book - that would help - so yes Let me know what you suggest.<br /><br />on another and maybe same note - <br /><br />I have a 65 dream 305.<br /><br />When I got the bike - it ran super great like 2 to 3 hours of run time around town and worked perfectly.<br /><br />It stalled on me one day and I couldnt get it started till i cleaned out the fuel bowl at the bottom of the carb.<br /><br />Temporary fix - as it wouldnt fire up the next day.<br /><br />I assumed it had something to do with a clogged fuel system - so I took off the fuel tank and cleaned that out completely - all the residue and rest etc...<br /><br />Then I went to the pet cock - and found that the rubber washer gromet deal was all broken up inside there - and basically useless... so I took that out - in hopes to make something to act like that... but anyways - I cleaned that out as well....<br /><br />Then I went to the fuel bowl - and on to the carb - where I cleaned the carb as best as I could with carb cleaner and I took a small wire and poked through the jets just to clean them out... I did not touch the adjustment screws on the carb at all...<br /><br />So - I put the bike back together - and tried to fire it up....<br /><br />NOTHING....<br /><br />so I went and changed the plugs for some new ones.... gaped them 18 and all....<br /><br />NOTHING...<br /><br />put the plugs on the side of the motor and fired it to see if we had spark.<br /><br />We did - nothing to start a forest fire - but spark none the less...<br /><br />So - I sprayed in some carb cleaner - to give it a little boost in the startup....<br /><br />It turned over for like 3 sec - and off....<br /><br />I know it has to be something easy....<br /><br />It may be my spark or I guess it could be fuel....<br /><br />The bike has ran super good - so I know it has to be something simple.<br /><br />And yes - I have the choke up for the start - and the battery is charged and the gas on the petcock is on run....<br /><br />Whoooooh....<br /><br />Any help would be very appreciated! <br /><br />you can also email me at andy@theoryconcept.com<br /><br />Thanks for the insight...<br />

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home