Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Weak spark??

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
C.N.
honda305.com Member

Weak spark??

Post by C.N. » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:37 pm

Hey there, just wondering what thing(s) can result in getting a weak--will barely light my 12v test light--spark. I'm timing my cb77 using Emo's recipe? Incidentally, I've been attempting to put my wiring together in the headlight bucket, maybe I'm shorting something out...?

Thanks

C.N.

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:35 pm

C.N. What is your battery voltage? If low you'll get a weak light in your tester. Also might want to check your engine to chassis ground, make sure that is good. Actually it could be alot of things now that I think about it but check the first things first,battery voltage and ground(s) Good Luck, Kustommusic

C.N.
honda305.com Member

Post by C.N. » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:49 pm

Thanks, I'll get my volt meter out and start looking. When I clamp the lead on my test light I put one on the point and the other on the negative terminal and when I adjust points plate I get a spark but it won't illuminate my 12v bulb.

Thanks again

C.N.

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:52 pm

C.N. If I understand you right I don't think you would get a light. When the points close the circut that completes is a ground and that causes the coil to discharge thru the primary and you get a spark. Hope that makes sense, you are welcome to P.M. me if you want on that. Kustommusic

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home